Here we go. Roubo from scratch

On 2/27/2016 at 7:11 PM, Immortan D said:

Are you gonna inlay those crosses on your coffin chop?

Nope. Just leaving the shape. 

6 hours ago, Janello said:

Brendon, here are the knobs you need for your bench. Something like these would be bad ass on your bench!

skull.jpg.9d85a78de33388391dedf7fca4b940

Um.. hell yes I do. . Where do I get these? 

Well now it is simply waiting. 

Yesterday afternoon, I dusted off my router sled, chucked up a big ass bit and off to work I went.

My front slab was consistently higher than the back slab by about 1/16". I set the bit to a known low spot where I had sanded away some epoxy overflow and got er going.  All I can say is holy cow I made a mess..

The bit did leave slightly scalloped troughs in the top so after I finished with the router,  I grabbed the jointer plane and took two passes length wise to knock the high points off. The problem I then ran into was the plane cut so cleanly there was very little grit to keep a board from sliding. My raking light was actually reflecting onto the wall.  A quick once over with 80 grit on the ros gave me a level but not at all slippery surface. I'm super happy with the ease of flattening in this manner.

You seem to be waiting a long time for the hardware. Did you check with them? I say this because I never got an email from them with an invoice and then they sent an email 3 weeks later saying they were going to cancel my order. I still couldn't get email from their billing department so they sent me a link to the invoice.

For those that did the Guild discount, when do you get your invoice?  Right after placing the order or right before the order ships?   I contacted Benchcrafted to place my order yesterday and had Marc confirm my Guild discount.  I haven't seen an invoice yet, but it hasn't even been a full day so that's understandable.  Just curious so I can avoid any possible delays on my part.

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:46 AM, Brendon_t said:

Well now it is simply waiting. 

Yesterday afternoon, I dusted off my router sled, chucked up a big ass bit and off to work I went.

My front slab was consistently higher than the back slab by about 1/16". I set the bit to a known low spot where I had sanded away some epoxy overflow and got er going.  All I can say is holy cow I made a mess..

The bit did leave slightly scalloped troughs in the top so after I finished with the router,  I grabbed the jointer plane and took two passes length wise to knock the high points off. The problem I then ran into was the plane cut so cleanly there was very little grit to keep a board from sliding. My raking light was actually reflecting onto the wall.  A quick once over with 80 grit on the ros gave me a level but not at all slippery surface. I'm super happy with the ease of flattening in this manner.

Was that the Primus jointer?  I've been curious to see how it worked for you.

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

Was that the Primus jointer?  I've been curious to see how it worked for you.

I haven't quite figured out the correct spring pressure/blade protrusion to stop it from chattering. It cuts great when slowed down but chipmunk chatters when I've got any speed behind it.  

So answer, it's great,  I've just got to train myself to use it.

3 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

I haven't quite figured out the correct spring pressure/blade protrusion to stop it from chattering. It cuts great when slowed down but chipmunk chatters when I've got any speed behind it.  

So answer, it's great,  I've just got to train myself to use it.

Would that be one of the tendencies of the wooden plane vs. the weight of the ductile cast iron planes?

8 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Would that be one of the tendencies of the wooden plane vs. the weight of the ductile cast iron planes?

From what I've read,  if the spring from the back is properly  done,  it world eliminate that.

There actually isn't a lot information out there on technique for these old wooden planes. 

Check to see which way I put the tensioning bar in (with the T on the end of it).  I may have put it back together with the bend up rather than down.  Also, I didn't tension the spring at all.  I just sharpened the iron and put it in the plane.   I found this:  http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/forum/archives_handtools.pl/bid/3001/md/read/id/144698/sbj/problem-with-primus-try-plane/

Chet, These planes have a unique mechanism that really doesn't have anything to do with the way other wooden bodied planes hold irons in.  It's supposed to give the benefits of a wooden plane with an easy to adjust iron.

On 3/1/2016 at 6:57 PM, nerdbot said:

I don't know what the discount was during the actual project build, but when I emailed and asked Benchcrafted earlier this year, they said there was still a discount but they have to verify your guild membership with Marc.  

Damn, I thought the guild discount was only during the guild build time. The site had time restrictions. Oh well.

3 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Damn, I thought the guild discount was only during the guild build time. The site had time restrictions. Oh well.

I thought I missed the discount too but just went back to my emails and BC said have Marc email them for the 5% discount. 

• 1 month later...

Brendon now that you have had time to use bench a little, any regrets on using ash?  The boards that I have used are really straight grained, which I figure would make a great bench.  A local mill priced green 8/4 for 1.25/BF, and I have a place to let it dry so win/win.  Your bench came out really nice grats.

1 hour ago, Tim Kohl said:

Brendon now that you have had time to use bench a little, any regrets on using ash?  The boards that I have used are really straight grained, which I figure would make a great bench.  A local mill priced green 8/4 for 1.25/BF, and I have a place to let it dry so win/win.  Your bench came out really nice grats.

I have zero regrets with the wood selection at all. No, I was not as hard as hard maple so you can put a ding in it if you drop a mallet or something but seriously it's my workbench. I don't baby it and it keeps putting out.

2 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I have zero regrets with the wood selection at all. No, I was not as hard as hard maple so you can put a ding in it if you drop a mallet or something but seriously it's my workbench. I don't baby it and it keeps putting out.

thanks for reply, appreciate it.

• 1 month later...