Here we go. Roubo from scratch

I received my spiral straight bit this week and had some time last week to go to work. 

Firstly, I was very inconsistent with the tennon cut. The blade in my circular saw was slightly tilted so it took some time to fix that issue. Once the tennon walls,shoulders and cheeks were tuned up thanks to way too much time with the block plane, I was able to rout out the groove for the tail vise. It was a lot of changing of settings but was fun,and messy 

Good news first or bad news first? 

Ok good, let's stay positive. 

The deep hand held mortises went off without any issue. The white side bit did what it was supposed to.

bad news,  I made an error visualizing the layout. The cross stretcher mortises were put on the inside of the rail, not the outside.  So two hours of making plugs to seat in that two inch hole and I'm back to flush.  

The new space is good. It's still way too small for two benches. The old bench is where it belongs, the saw horses with the bench tops are sitting in the walkway between the mitre station, jointer and drum sander so it's really cramped up. I also haven't yet figured out a good way to pipe in the dust collector.

once I have one bench in there, it should feel much better.

The new space is good. It's still way too small for two benches. The old bench is where it belongs, the saw horses with the bench tops are sitting in the walkway between the mitre station, jointer and drum sander so it's really cramped up. I also haven't yet figured out a good way to pipe in the dust collector.

once I have one bench in there, it should feel much better.

You going to give us a video tour once you're all settled?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's going to be great to get this beast in its home. 

I still don't have hardware yet, hence I'm jumping around the build a bit.  I'm trying to get everything that can be done, done so that when I get it,  we're off to the races. 

Tonight hopefully should yield a dog hole strip if I can get this template to print the correct size.

Another relatively productive bench building day.

After rounding the tennons for the other side assembly, I have both side sub assemblies dry fit and ready. I haven't done the long stretchers yet.

Taking marcs advise, I built my dog hole template out of 1/2" ply. After milling the board I had designated, I come to find that my router guide bushing sticks down 5/8". FAIL.

Rebuild and it's ready to go.

13 dog holes routed, backing strip attached and after sitting in clamps for 3 hours, I clamped it to the front slab.

Also got the end cap lamination glued up and the sliding dog block glued up.

4c8fe912ab7c2d68702e47862935734a.jpg

d47c6c43725007f78baa95723afd6ed5.jpg

c0cc26b5b45d20320a09267d1a21a04f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm going to sound really umm ignornant. How do you make the square holes the exact right size? They are for the tail vise right? Did you use a space or some sort of joinery? I realize an easy way to answer that would be to buy the plans and build one but I'm just curious at this point.

32 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'm going to sound really umm ignornant. How do you make the square holes the exact right size? They are for the tail vise right? Did you use a space or some sort of joinery? I realize an easy way to answer that would be to buy the plans and build one but I'm just curious at this point.

You have to pay for that kind of information. :D

3 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

I'll take that. 

Router jig,  two routers, two bits, skinny piece laid over the open channels makes a square hole. 

Damn, you took the hard way of doing it. I used a shaper and a magical unicorn bit. 

Looking good Brendon. It's funny when you think of the bench as the stack of boards in the way. Then you mill and glue em up have have slabs in the way, and then a base and slabs and saw horses in the way. Then when it's done you wonder how you got to where you are now with the bench being completed and the whole process starts to fade away as you enjoy using the bench.

I can definately see that. Right now,  it's a huge pain in the butt. I'm having a blast doing it but am seriously thinking about moving my drum sander and router table into the "laundry room" to get them out of my way since I'm not using them for this in the foreseeable future of the bench build.  It would be nice to be able to lean the slabs out of the way up against the wall but a) their super heavy and b ) I'm actually using them which is nice. 

Eric, you can certainly mak a perfectly servicable lamination from shorter boards, it just won't be as pretty. I suppose that over time there could be some risk of weakness where the shorter pieces meet end to end, but I doubt it would be a serious problem. Just don't make a 'zipper' of slightly staggered joints right in the middle!

I take it the guy in Hernando has what you were looking for?

I'll fix this for Ross...

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Eric, you can certainly mak a perfectly servicable lamination from shorter boards, it just won't be as pretty. I suppose that over time there could be some risk of weakness where the shorter pieces meet end to end, but I doubt it would be a serious problem. Just don't make a 'zipper' of slightly staggered joints right in the middle!

Buy 8' boards.

• Like 2