Here we go. Roubo from scratch

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Good start but you're brave putting that much weight on your jointer tables!

I hear you, that was a temporary need to get these things off the ground until halftime. They were only there for about an hour and a half. They are all restacked on 3 saw horses now

Sweet way to make a glue up start off terribly,  have the 4" paint roller NOT WORK for spreading glue at all. . I was able to rush into the finishing cabinet and grab my glue roller and use that like a paint roller.  

Definately need to grab a different roller for the back slab. 

A bit of progress today,  glued up both slabs this morning.  It was 82° in my shop so I didn't feel bad about taking the clamps off the front slab at 4. In spite of using biscuits which didn't do crap for alignment, the slab was very flat out of clamps.  The very back board was about 1/32" high on one end,  three swipes with the lajp and it's about perfect.

One thing I did notice last night while planning a few boards thinner to get to the final measurements was my dc does not like the spaghetti like 4.25" long "chips" coming off of the planer. Two times, the shavings clogged up in the vertical stack.  Not fun to un clog. 

555951130abcaf4bbb2fc50e9c090ffd.jpg

Sexy kinda.

the back slab with all the knots  is upside down with epoxy in them. I was able to orient most of the defects to the bottom, there are two small ones on the top but I'll fill those after the final flattening.

One cool thing I've learned so far on this build, my old craftsman #5 that I could never get to take a good enough edge to take fine wispy shavings, will do work as a scrub plane. I knocked the corners off cave it a decent hand honing and it made short work on getting the bottoms flat enough. I'm really happy I can use it for something. It may be a 15$ plane but it was in my grandfathers tool box when we cleaned out his garage. 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah that is definately a cool history I'll have with the bench.  It would have been easier going with lumber yard KD knows graded stuff but that's what I think will make the bench uniquely mine.  

I was worried about knots or weird grain and all that for a while but have accepted it now.  My bench will not Look as clean as most do. There will be some  epoxy fillings that will be visible but that's part of the experience i am having and I'm embracing it.