Sculpted Rocker

..Kev

You're a woodworking maniac, and a good one.

Kev, are those 24" clamps and do you like the Bessy. I need to buy some short ones.

No, those are the cheap 12s.  I'm not a big fan of those but, the bigger K Body ones that I have I really like.

I have a bunch of the 24s and they're my go to clamp for most things in my shop.

Looking good Kev! Do you jigsaw your rough boards to length and width before milling? I always cut to length but then cut the smaller pieces after milling. I can see an upside to cutting smaller pieces from rough stock being less passes on the jointer and thicker if needed. The downside is there will probably be more waste because of snipe but a drum sander can always clean that up.

Looking good Kev! Do you jigsaw your rough boards to length and width before milling? I always cut to length but then cut the smaller pieces after milling. I can see an upside to cutting smaller pieces from rough stock being less passes on the jointer and thicker if needed. The downside is there will probably be more waste because of snipe but a drum sander can always clean that up.

I did use the jigsaw to get the rough lengths out of the boards and the bandsaw to get the rough widths.  Normal milling really except for using the drum sander pretty much in place of the planer to retain enough thickness.  I have a couple steps coming up where I'll be using the planer because the lumber is so badly cupped.  If I can't save enough thickness then, I'll be heading to the lumber yard to try to do some color matching.

On that note, overall, I was not too impressed with the BF order.  There was a lot of lumber that is completely unusable. I've sent them a note and we'll see what the response is.  In the meantime, I've just sourced replacement material locally and will move on.

On that note, overall, I was not too impressed with the BF order.  There was a lot of lumber that is completely unusable. I've sent them a note and we'll see what the response is.  In the meantime, I've just sourced replacement material locally and will move on.

That sucks especially when it's premium walnut! 

• Like 1

I guess I'm gonna make it a personal mission to inform the world about walnut grading since the misunderstanding seems so pervasive.

FAS for all species requires only 83.3% of the board to be clear of defects.  Walnut grading is loosened further by adding the following allowances:

• Minimum Board Size is reduced to 5″x6′ with 80% of the pack yielding 8′ and longer
  • Minimum Clear Cutting Size is reduced to 4″x3′ or 3″x6′
  • Pieces 5″ x 6-7′ are allowed wane along the edges, splits not longer than 6″ on 1 end, and 1 defect
  • Pieces 8″ and wider are admitted 2 defects

I'm sure what you got from BF was legit, properly graded FAS.  It's the nature of the beast.  If you happen to find a better batch of lumber somewhere, it's only because you got lucky, not because it's a better mill, distributor, dealer.  It just happened to be a clearer batch.  I've seen some pretty nasty piles of walnut that were perfectly within the guidelines for FAS.  Buying lumber online sight unseen certainly sets you up for disappointment, but be sure to remember you're not getting screwed by the dealer...you're getting screwed by Mother Nature and NHLA grading rules.

Read more...

http://www.mcilvain.com/walnut-grades-explained/

I completely understand what you're saying Eric and agree completely.  However, when they're picking out the material for a particular package, they should take some care that the material is going to be usable for that package.  If I'd of ordered X BF of lumber then, I'd expect what I got.  

That's true, Kev.  As soon as they assume the responsibility to create project packs, they're certainly under a new set of obligations and expectations.  I didn't realize you ordered a project pack.  I'd complain about that too.  Unless they give you enough material to compensate for all the waste, I don't see the point of the project pack.  What good is it if there's not enough useable lumber?  Maybe they think you live in a log cabin and you'll happily use the knotty and sappy parts.  They should be more specific about what customers should expect if that's their position.

• Like 1

That's true, Kev.  As soon as they assume the responsibility to create project packs, they're certainly under a new set of obligations and expectations.  I didn't realize you ordered a project pack.  I'd complain about that too.  Unless they give you enough material to compensate for all the waste, I don't see the point of the project pack.  What good is it if there's not enough useable lumber?  Maybe they think you live in a log cabin and you'll happily use the knotty and sappy parts.  They should be more specific about what customers should expect if that's their position.

There's not enough material to compensate especially on the thicker pieces.  

In the end, I accepted the material (or my wife did as I was away) and milled 1 face of some to see grain patterns so, it's on me.  Just some word to the wise for others that will be doing this build.

Joinery cut and fit up - Super happy with the results.

Did all the rough shaping.  Scooped out around the joinery, beveled the tops for the headrest, and beveled the feet so it sits flat.