Sculpted Rocker

..Kev

Spindle Time!

So what took Marc about a minute on video took me about 4 hours to do. I knew this would be the real time consuming part of the project because there are 7 of them.  Here they are roughed out, still a lot to go.

And, here's the mess for the rest..

Kev, which abrasive disc and grit are you using for the power carving?

I have one of those Holey ones in coarse grit (blue). It really hogs out some material, but leaves a pretty rough surface to clean up. I'm wondering if a fine grit disc would be good to have or if you used something else for cleaning up your surfaces.

Kev, which abrasive disc and grit are you using for the power carving?

I have one of those Holey ones in coarse grit (blue). It really hogs out some material, but leaves a pretty rough surface to clean up. I'm wondering if a fine grit disc would be good to have or if you used something else for cleaning up your surfaces.

I have the coarse (blue) and the fine (green).  The fine does leave a nicer surface but, still requires a fair share of work.  I used the coarse for the bulk of the hogging out on the arms and then switched to the fine to get a little closer to my lines and then went to the rasps.

The spindles were all done on the bandsaw so far..  I may use the fine disc on the big round overs on the back.

Looking great Kev. I like the interesting joinery choice you used for the leg to seat. 

That's the way they're built..  It's actually really cool!  The matched router bit makes it a lot easier..

Edited by TIODS
  • Like 1

Well, some good news from Bell Forest today!  They will be replacing the stock that was bad in the order.  I purchased some material locally to keep me going thru the build so, should have a little extra walnut in the shop when this is done..

Thanks BF!

Good service!  So did you take pictures to send to them?  Are they requiring you to send the bad boards back?

I did send them pictures but, they are not asking that I send the bad stuff back.  The "bad" stuff started as 8/4 and I'll be lucky to get 4/4 out of it by the time I mill it flat.  Also, I replaced the wood locally so, there wasn't a need to match.  I only asked them to replace what I purchased locally

Finally got the roundovers done!  In case you're wondering, I have a little over 13 hours into the spindles to get them to this point.