Sculpted Rocker

..Kev

Kev, mine locked up to when I tried to go back a page.  It also locked up when I went to page 1 then tried to go forward.  Eventually found earlier post.  

However this his is fast becoming a project that is almost to nice to use.  You are definitely knocking this thing out of the park.

• Like 1

Thanks..  I sent a note to Marc to let him know..  In the meantime, I'll post today's progress here again.

Got the arms out of clamps early this morning and starting working the joint.

WX65DF.jpg

ANy1ex.jpg

Will try to get to the spindles tonight or early tomorrow but, have a few details to work on first.

Edited by TIODS
  • Like 1

Thanks Coop!  There's a couple things along the way that you have to think about but, Marc does a pretty damn good job.  It pays off to watch a couple videos ahead and know what's coming so that you're prepared when you get there.

I dropped the ball today and didn't have any black transtint dye on hand because my ebony plugs will be a little under sized just as Marc's were.  Fortunately, they're plugs so, doesn't "have" to be the next step.

Hey Kev, try to keep in mind the things that weren't clear in the videos to share with us. Might help one of us future chair builders from screwing something up.

They should become obvious if you stay a couple videos ahead.  The horns are the big one that jumps out at me.  Kind of a last minute 'oh by the way'..  Marc did a good job of catching up but, if you were just going step by step thru the videos, you could end up with your legs glued up before you make the decision you need to make.

Interesting day in the shop today..  Was on my last 2 strips for the rocker when the switch on my table saw went out.  Just banged them out with the TS 75 and I'll go to Grizzly this afternoon for a replacement part.

Got the first one glued up.  Lesson learned on the form, leave enough ply to support the lamination on the thin end..  I used a clamp to reinforce it but, building it properly up front would eliminate that issue.

And, for those of you with a dirty shop fetish ;)

Off to Grizzly to get replacement parts.  Then, a little shop clean up is in order!

• Like 1

Kev, is there a concern that one rocker will "spring back" more than the other when they're removed from the form? And I don't mean to jinx ya and hope I don't, but as I've never done bent laminate, just wondered?

It's always possible but, it had a bit over 8 hours in the clamps so, should be ok.

Edited by TIODS

What about the other 34 projects you have going simultaneously?

Currently, all caught up.

Kev, did you attempt to blow it out with compressed air before ordering a new one? My scroll saw switch fails every once in a while and I've found in just need to stick my compressed air nozzles in there and give it a few bursts. 

Yep..  I even pulled the plug apart as well as pulling the cover off at the motor and checking things there.  The switch was only 20 bucks.