Forum Ads and Support

As several others here I don't have a problem paying $20 per year.  I'm paying more on other forums, and the extras are usually worth it.

But may I ask how much the hosting costs for this forum? According to whois this forums uses the name servers of the IPB community hosting, and as the amount of users seem to be between 100-200 the cost should be approx. 120-130$ per month. A VPS with 4 GB RAM and 2-4 cores with the some PHP caching, and maybe using Nginx instead or with Apache, should be more than enough for a forum of this size. This would cost 40-60$.

I see why some people choose to use IPB community hosting, but it costs a lot. Too much by my opinion.

According to whois this forums uses the name servers of the IPB community hosting, and as the amount of users seem to be between 100-200 the cost should be approx. 120-130$ per month. A VPS with 4 GB RAM and 2-4 cores with the some PHP caching, and maybe using Nginx instead or with Apache, should be more than enough for a forum of this size. This would cost 40-60$.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nerd+to+english+translator

• Like 2

I really don't need Marc to open his kimono and tell us how much it costs to run his business.  the $20 a year is voluntary.  Marc has been doing this a long time and I am sure he has figured out what he needs to spend on server costs.

I see that, and there are no problems doing it. 

I may be a bit more experienced than most people as I've been running forums and hosting them for more than 15 years myself. I just wanted to mention the possibility to do it cheaper if the costs weren't covered by the income. Custom packages for users are one way to solve it, and decreasing the cost is another.

I see that, and there are no problems doing it. 

I may be a bit more experienced than most people as I've been running forums and hosting them for more than 15 years myself. I just wanted to mention the possibility to do it cheaper if the costs weren't covered by the income. Custom packages for users are one way to solve it, and decreasing the cost is another.

Well like I said, the fallback option is essentially free. Not sure how long you've been around these forums but we were running on my server for years. I'm sure folks remember how annoying it would get when TWW received a traffic flood or one of those seemingly unsolvable issues like Verizon wireless customers not being able to access the forum. Ugh... what a headache. Thankfully since the switch, it's been smooth sailing. Only issues we've had recently have to do with the forum software upgrade and those are to be expected with a major software release.

• Like 2

Nerd to even nerdier translation

(20B1B1B7B93234B7)16 = 20B1B1B7B93234B7h

can  I get a nerd to tard translation please? 

And Daniel had a point up there.  For the low low price of $1/week, you get special mod buttons that let you screw with eric's posts. A platinum allows you to mess with his avi and profile.

• Like 1

And Daniel had a point up there.  For the low low price of $1/week, you get special mod buttons that let you screw with eric's posts. A platinum allows you to mess with his avi and profile.

I took Norwegian's post, converted it to binary, then converted it to hexadecimal.  

That would be great.  change his tagline to "I ❤️ Ana White's pocket screws" 

Well I'm feeling a bit jipped...I'm $20 poorer but still just a lowly moderator.  Can't I be both?  I wanna ban Daniel but I feel like I need my epaulettes blinged out before I do it without justifiable cause.

Oh, FYI...I didn't see a paypal payment option...that would have been good.

• Like 1

Well I'm feeling a bit jipped...I'm $20 poorer but still just a lowly moderator.  Can't I be both?  I wanna ban Daniel but I feel like I need my epaulettes blinged out before I do it without justifiable cause.

You feel jipped? Quit your complaining, the 20$ US cost me like 30 $ CDN! Maybe my "Supporter" badge should be red to reflect the fact that Im Canadian? Or would that jut get me banned!?