Tape measure

Cliff

On September 24, 2015 at 8:33 PM, shaneymack said:

I have always used fatmax on the jobsite. For most tradesman around here, that is the go to tape. For the shop i find it to be too big because I carry it around in my apron. I use a 12' stanley for the shop. I bought the festool tape and it has never been used as the spring is junk and it drives me crazy.

NOOOOOOOOO!  Festool and junk in the same sentence......The world is spinning off it's axis. And from the biggest slurpers of Kool-Aid, say it ain't so, Shanney

I take the belt hook off of my tapes and carry them in my pocket. Every time a tape gets knocked off your belt and hits the floor there is a chance the hook will get bent.

I check my tape against a 24" engraved combo square blade (PEC 2nds rule ! ) and it gets a big X on it when one fails. Then I give them away to friends, family & clients  who will never notice the less than a 1/16 inaccuracy. Another plus is Fastcap 16' tapes are around $9 at the supply house.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I take the belt hook off of my tapes and carry them in my pocket. Every time a tape gets knocked off your belt and hits the floor there is a chance the hook will get bent.

I check my tape against a 24" engraved combo square blade (PEC 2nds rule ! ) and it gets a big X on it when one fails. Then I give them away to friends, family & clients  who will never notice the less than a 1/16 inaccuracy. Another plus is Fastcap 16' tapes are around $9 at the supply house.

Seriously. I do a lot of inspection work in my day job and more than a few times I've managed to knock mine loose and have it fall. Awhile back was on the peak of a roof and knocked mine loose, it tumbled end over end all the down the roof smacked down hard on the patio below. Luckily no one and nothing was hurt, it had some pretty good force at that point. Worst part, it was pretty heavily landscaped yard with bushes and things and couldn't find the darn thing anywhere!

In fact, you've got me thinking, for this work, I rarely need to measure more than about 24" (stud spacing, for example). For longer stuff I generally get out a laser, so I think I'll take your suggestion, and go further and get a smaller (shorter) tape and remove the clip so it will easily fit in my pocket.

5 hours ago, xxdabroxx said:

I've been using a 16' Milwaukee for a while now.  Definitely my favorite tape.  Not sure I'd like it for woodwork, but for construction it is great.  I like the magnet in the end and it has a 1/4" scale on the back side. 

I got a free one for participating in a Milwaukee product demo session (great reward in itself). Best tape measure I've ever used. Even considerable better than the FatMax.

On 8/12/2016 at 0:16 PM, shaneymack said:

Here I did a quick review for you.

Enjoy !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Lol, just saw this. I thought for sure you were going to open it up and use it after all that and talk about how great it was. I guess you have more kool-aid to drink after all.

Tried to remove the video from my reply but it wouldn't go away easily and I am lazy. Have fun scrolling past this @Eric.

• Like 2