Tape measure

Cliff

I like the smaller sized tape measures 12' or less. I have a Komelon 12' Self lock tape that I use most of the time but, I don't like the fact that for a "righty" like me who holds the tape in my left hand to mark distance with my right hand, the numbers are upside down and it is easy to make a fractional mistake when reading it.

I also have a Flat Back tape with the very flexible blade and is handy at times but, it has a wide blade and is 16' long and a bit big and heavy to put on my belt which is my favorite place to carry it. 

Some of us are just never satisfied!

I remember seeing 12' tape blades with the numbers printed in the correct "left to right" on both edges but, I'll be darned if I can find one these days!

Rog

If your working in metric the Fastcap True 32 tape has all the standard 32mm spacings and associated points marked . This does speed up layout work for line boring for hardware and adjustable shelves.

i sometimes switch to metric for accuracy. I find it easier to go straight to a measurement like 1568 mm than 5' 1 47/64 th .

I agree totally. Metric is easier to build with. I use a fastcap 32 for building. Easy to read black on white and even has feet measurements so you know the lumber sizes. I still think in inches as far as design goes. So a fastcap English/metric is great to have when designing things.

I worked with a truly excellent supervisor in a shipyard. He was just lazy enough to figure out the easy way to do something and smart enough to know that Half measures caused more work than they saved. He issued his workers lufkin tapes Because they called out the fractions or listed them in decimals. Saved a bunch of steel. He got the idea when he saw a worker with a tape foldedup about thirty times. The guy couldn't read a tape so he pinched the mark and walked back to the fab shop with 39 feet of tape folded up. If the tape slipped before he marked his cut he had to start over and walk all the way back to the yard.

• Like 1

my favorite tape measure that i use is the one that i can find. i usually misplace them

but my favorite tape measures are ones that my father's company had with the company name address,phone number on the side. i think i have two of them still stashed where they won't get used. of course i don't know where that is either

• 10 months later...
12 minutes ago, SplinteredDave said:

I received one for Christmas from someone who totally disregarded my wish list. As far as the measuring goes, it's probably as good as some. The marking part is more of a gimmick, it works but is geared more for construction than woodworking.

Just now, K Cooper said:

I received one for Christmas from someone who totally disregarded my wish list. As far as the measuring goes, it's probably as good as some. The marking part is more of a gimmick, it works but is geared more for construction than woodworking.

I thought the same thing wrt what it's "geared for". 

I've got two basic 1"x25' stanley powerlocks and also a Lufkin 25'.

Performance wise, I think they are the same, but I have to say, I like the bright orange Lufkin, as I have an annoying tendency to set things down and not be able to find them. My shop isn't particularly messy, but its also not that big, which means it gets a bit crowded and pencils, squares and tape measures have a tendency to go into hiding when I turn my back on them for too long. The orange makes it a little easier to find the Lufkin.