Bar Stool

mds2

Recently I have made a bunch of child stools and my mother has been asking me for one.  She wants it just because I made them, which is nice but not necessary.  So I decided to make her her own full sized stool for Christmas.  I've never made a stool, or any sort of chair before so this should be a fun experience.  It will be made of solid walnut.  I'm not sure how I will shape the legs yet, I have a few ideas but nothing set in stone.  So far I have milled all my material to size, and made a jig to line everything up.  The plan is to half-blind the cross members into the legs. The jig makes all the compound angles easier in my head.  Anyway here is what I have so far:

6UCiOBKl.jpg

iN8rQVXl.jpg

• Like 1

A little more progress for this evening. Time in the shop is spotty sometimes. A few minutes here and there.  I have one side fit up now, but I'll walk through fitting the other side.   The legs on this stool skew 8 degrees in two directions.  For me the holding jig is essential for getting all the angles right.  I spent the first evening laying out the jig and it is made from scrap melamine I had leaning in the corner.  

Here is the leg blanks with the cross member blanks sitting across the top. I clamp the cross members so they don't move while I mark everything. 

4o8vMxFh.jpg

Next I mark the shoulders by using a marking knife and putting a little tic mark on both sides. 

kpIM5aXh.jpg

Then it is basically connect the dots. I use a t bevel set to 8 degrees to verify they line up and to make a straight line with the knife.  

nfbWMeVh.jpg

Then I use a marking gage to mark the depth of the tail. 

N8POwx5h.jpg

then I mark the dovetail itself. I eyeball the angle on these. 

MbCNX1kh.jpg

Then I use a handsaw to get rid of the waste. 

0XYRBPeh.jpg

Next I put the cross member back in the jig. If I did everything right the shoulders should wedge themselves between the two legs.  Then I can transfer the tails onto the legs using a knife. 

y4k7aqAh.jpgs7OOUFxh.jpg

• Like 1

Morning update:

I completed the joinery and got the legs glued together.  It was nice not needing any clamps.   You also see the seat blank in this pic.  I glued it up a couple weeks ago.

OsA7lzsl.jpg

I realized my biggest fear when assembling.  I was really concerned about this happening, and it did!  Fixable though.  And I wasnt paying attention and sawed too far.  Twice!!

nkUwJIrl.jpg

I have a couple more cross members to make, but here is the rough shape.   I'm not certain what to do on the legs yet.  Roundover, or something more elborate?

qBOcftkl.jpg

Update on the the stool from the weekend.  I spent a lot of time with a rasp and a file shaping everything.  I decided to cut an arced chamfer on the outside corners of the legs, then did a similar treatment to the other edges.  A thinkin man would have did this before gluing it all together, but I love shaping walnut, so it wasn't too bad.  

The top cross members are two really short pieces.  I didnt feel like dovetailing them, so I used my kreg jig.  They were kind of a pain in the ass to screw together, but it works.

rViAyaFl.jpg

vm3rEo1l.jpg

The next thing I did was shape the bottom of the fit.  It curves like this on two of the faces. I cut the bulk of the waste away with a handsaw, then cleaned it up with a file.  Like I said before, a thinkin man would have did this with a bandsaw before hand.   
oOYJ21Ml.jpg
N8fPwPil.jpg

Preshaping:
ywE4FTxl.jpg
Cet7iROl.jpg

Cleaning up outside chamfer with a spokeshave file:
vPonEpsl.jpg

This shows most of the shaping close to finished:
6yfon03l.jpg

After lots of sanding I got the first coat of oil on it:
7AK28pUl.jpg

One of my favorite details. Where the chamfer slightly exposes the end of the dovetail on the legs:
2FSy9pxl.jpg

Stool update. Construction completed.   I had been putting off cutting the seat because I knew the blank was too tall for my bandsaw.  The plan was to drive to the other side of town to use my friend's saw.  I couldn't remember how much it was over capacity as I glued it up a few weeks ago.  Finally I just set it on the saw to see how close it was:

S4IcvXcl.jpg
Not worth the drive across town.  I tried to adjust the saw guide up as far as I could. Even considered cutting it without the cover on the saw as that gave me an extra 1/32" of height.  Finally I ended up running the blank over the jointer until it just fit.  

After cutting and a little sanding:
KZTclHpl.jpg

Cleaned with mineral spirits:
OruYUzSl.jpg

Next I need to mate the two pieces.  If I had a domino I domino it, but I don't so I decided to use dowels.   I drilled four holes in the base and then placed dowel centers in the holes.  I set the seat on top, and then pushed down to create the corresponding center parks.

XhJq67Kl.jpg
HqpYbz7l.jpg

Next add glue and clamp it together:
6fPY4Fal.jpg

After that I wiped the seat down with BLO.
qmEVPaxl.jpg
bAUXTnJl.jpg

Speaking of kreg screws: I hit one drilling the dowel holes and ruined a forstner bit:
Zs3ae3Il.jpg

Yes, and good job of nearly getting that car out of your shop.:)

One time I was encroaching on that side of the garage for a few days.  My wife came out, held her arms out wide and said "MINE". Reclaiming her half the garage.  

My brand new pickup sits outside :(

• Like 1

Three lessons from this thread;

1- Everyone should own a domino because they are awesome.

2- Woman rule over us and there is no way around it.

3- Pocket hole screws will ruin your bits and eventually your life. See # 1

No argument here.  I'm drinking if you're buying.