I'm officially rustic

Eric.

Alright...now I feel better.

I misread your first post and thought you were saying that YOU made those tables. I kept silent. I thought that would be better than anything I had to say.

Now I understand that you made the tops. I still feel like I should wash out my eyes and take a strong drink to clear my head, but to tell the truth; those tops could have several more skid marks on them and they still wouldn't match the awfulness of the bases.

• Like 1

One of my friends made some rustic crap for his mom too. Difference is, he had to work at making them. You just slapped some walnut on some crappy bases, and now you're getting pooped on. At least you know you've done wrong. His stuff is the best stuff he'll ever make, and he's proud of them. Which is fine I guess, but I'm glad you knew what you were in for bringing these lowly pieces into this esteemed forum. :) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Eric. said:

The tops are actually Grade-A steamdried walnut.  But all this Kreg talk makes me think y'all have a fundamental misunderstanding of rustic.  The bases of these tables are literally held together with finish nails.  I think at this point the ninety layers of paint are probably holding them together more than the nails.  The original tops were nailed right down to the tops of the legs.  Kreg joinery is worthy of display in the Louvre compared to these disasters.

Well I went to my last family Christmas function, got about 3/4 drunk, and thought about the terrible crimes I've committed all evening.  All I can say is I'm truly sorry to everyone who had to witness it, and I promise to never do it again.  If no one talks to me again, I understand.  I deserve it.

PS, touch my jointer and you lose a testicle.

3/4 drunk and still realizes the error..  Keep drinking ;)

FWW just published an article that's really not quite on point (depending on how we define 'rustic') but mixes painted bases and natural wood tops... http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/splash-color-on-wood.aspx

I don't like many of the examples, but was rather taken with the mudroom bench (Walnut live-edge slab top with black-paint base)... I need a new mudroom bench and may just give that a whirl...

7 minutes ago, hhh said:

FWW just published an article that's really not quite on point (depending on how we define 'rustic') but mixes painted bases and natural wood tops... http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/splash-color-on-wood.aspx

I don't like many of the examples, but was rather taken with the mudroom bench (Walnut live-edge slab top with black-paint base)... I need a new mudroom bench and may just give that a whirl...

I take Eric's.

I assume this post has mostly sarcastic comments, why should you be ashamed you did something nice for your mother?? Who gives a crap what wood or joinery. You were using your given talents and working with wood to do something nice. This whole being ashamed or disgusted by what type of wood it is, or using pocket screws... I really don't get it...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, d8nk said:

I assume this post has mostly sarcastic comments, why should you be ashamed you did something nice for your mother?? Who gives a crap what wood or joinery. You were using your given talents and working with wood to do something nice. This whole being ashamed or disgusted by what type of wood it is, or using pocket screws... I really don't get it...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Was all mostly sarcastic, just taking a poke at Eric.

It's gray but I don't know what it is.  It could be primer...it's my mother's work, after all.  I assume she knows the difference between primer and paint but I wouldn't put it past her.

To be clear...the ONLY thing I did with these tables is replace the tops with the walnut.  I'm responsible for nothing else. :)