Here's my thought

collinb

I've found a jointer alternative,  Actually two alternatives.  Of course these alternatives are still jointers, functionally that is, though the tool might not be identified as such.  (For those who enjoy philosophy: same description, different referent.)

On the one hand have this 1/2" OD, 1/2" mount router bit, much like the one shown.  If I place it properly aligned with the fence then I can manage the short sides of a piece. (Which is all I see myself needing to do for long, long time.)  Then I have to add a shim of some sort to the output side for a smooth transition.  Shouldn't be hard.

The second alternative involves getting this: http://mansfield.craigslist.org/tls/5402015287.html
Doesn't cost much.  Doesn't take up much space.  And from what I've been researching it provides a very practical & precise solution to jointing.  And I can use that same bit. 

Anyone here use the Joint A-Billi-T?

plungebit.jpg

6 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

no, no, no, its a Colins "Thoughts" thread.....

I resemble that remark.

Do we need an "Angst" category?

3 minutes ago, Mike. said:

a router can work for jointing edges.  Does not help with faces at all.  In my experience and can be difficult to get a perfectly clean, chatter free edge.  Not impossible but your technique needs to be good and your router powerful enough.  

I wouldn't expect it for faces.  That's why I have a planer.

23 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

So how are you getting an initial flat face?

I end up spending more per board-foot at the big box stores.  And generally the edges are good but should I want to rip & join them I'd like them right.

2 minutes ago, Janello said:
angst
äNG(k)st/
noun

1. a feeling of deep want or need for fresh curds, typically an unfocused one about the human condition or the state of the wood in general.

I'm from north of the cheddar curtain so the edit seemed suitable.

Back to the subject...

No, a router bit cannot replace a jointer for the reason that Brian mentioned...doesn't help you to get a flat face and that's 99% of a jointer's usefulness.  A straight edge and circular saw can get you a straight edge if need be.  The jointer is for faces, it just happens to be a convenient way to straighten an edge as well while you're already there flattening the face.  So unless you find an 8" router bit and a huge router table the shape of an aircraft carrier...

PS...Home Depot lumber was flat once...a long time ago...it's no longer flat by the time you buy it.  Flat"ish" is the best you'll do.  Jointers are essential tools.  They're the very first step in every woodworking project.  I'll never understand why people are so reluctant to buy a jointer.  Everyone is cool with plunking down the cash for a table saw...but what good is a straight rip on a twisted board?

Collin, I'm not understanding the issue with using a jointer.

if you are super space challenged, grab a bench top 6" jointer from craigslist. I bought one for $75 and built a dang front door with it.

ive gotta agree with Eric here. The fact that you own a planer is about worthless for milling lumber 4s without a jointer.

the wheel was invented and it rocks. No need to reinvent.

Disagree about the planer being worthless without the jointer. You can plane and joint with a sled if you have to, just like you can do it with the router table and an offsetting fence. It took me two years to find a jointer in my price range that wasn't an overwhelming turd, so you learn to get by when needed.

It's not a matter of can't, it's a matter of want. There's a million different ways to do things, but the OP is the only one who can take into account his budget, space and method. If all else fails, colin, you could always build a jointer.

5 minutes ago, Cochese said:

Disagree about the planer being worthless without the jointer. You can plane and joint with a sled if you have to, just like you can do it with the router table. 

Please explain how you can face joint a board with a router table. 

And how one would use a planer to get your first edge straight and second,  at 90*. Of course a track saw,  hand plans or ts sled could be used but again, those weren't in the equation above so I didn't see it as relevant to include.  

6 minutes ago, h3nry said:

on a scale from rock to roll ...  a good wheel should roll.

It was a ham fisted attempt at the wheel made from stone.. or rock. .

Thanks thanks,  here all week.

12 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Please explain how you can face joint a board with a router table. 

And how one would use a planer to get your first edge straight and second,  at 90*. Of course a track saw,  hand plans or ts sled could be used but again, those weren't in the equation above so I didn't see it as relevant to include.  

It was a ham fisted attempt at the wheel made from stone.. or rock. .

Thanks thanks,  here all week.

Router sled. Cremona has a vid on it, as do others. I edited my post, but forgot to take out the table portion of it.

The edges can be done in the planer, easy. Just as long as the boards fit. The middle picture here gives you the basic operation. I've seen much more elaborate jigs, and much longer. There was a really nice one a few years ago made for a 735x that fit on the tables, but I can't find my saved picture of it. Used some T-track and knobs to keep the channel at the right spot.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip122200sn.html

Edit - this is better: http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/jointing-and-planing/planer-jigs/