Shop Overhaul Rev 8675309

Tom Cancelleri

24 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

So much better than storing them under my couch in the formal living room to keep it from getting damaged.

I thought I was the only one that stored important stuff under the couch so it wouldn't get damaged.

I was cutting some pvc conduit,and I had a flashback to the which brand makes the best woodworking saw that is good for cutting pvc. I'm cutting it with my ryoba double sided saw. The rip tooth configuration works best.

Dry fitting the pipe before any wire is pulled. Debating on whether I want to glue it all. I'm voting no glue. My garage is pretty high in relation to the surrounding area. Everything runs down hill so I'm not concerned about water proofing the wires in sealed conduit.

c637fcbb237001403aa1a7265e3e7c23.jpg

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Dry fitting the pipe before any wire is pulled. Debating on whether I want to glue it all. I'm voting no glue. My garage is pretty high in relation to the surrounding area. Everything runs down hill so I'm not concerned about water proofing the wires in sealed conduit.

Check your local electrical code. It probably requires gluing the conduit.

37 minutes ago, Pug said:

Its against code to use pvc conduit indoors here in Ontario.  Everything has to be metallic conduit or EMT.  The argument is for fire safety and poisonous gas I believe.

Silly northerners... These are the same people who made it law that you can't buy a burger unless it's well done. =(

19 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Silly northerners... These are the same people who made it law that you can't buy a burger unless it's well done. =(

There are lots more code things like that here - tamper proof receptacles in the garage ceilings, ACI breakers for all circuits with receptacles, drywall over rigid foam insulation, the list goes on!

7 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

Tom, I just finished my duct installation yesterday. 

FWIW, I found a heat gun really helpful in persuading the flex hose around the metal at pipe at times.

Sweet, I'll have to check out the pics. I got my blast gates yesterday. Gonna finish up the electrical before I start the piping. Been really busy this week so progress has slowed a bit. Probably another big weekend push. 

13 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Totally off topic, but I used to eat my burgers medium rare, because they have flavor and aren't dry. Then I read a few scientific studies and it turns out that it's almost impossible to get rid of horrible things with ground meat because you are literally grinding the bacteria/e-coli/etc from the surface of the meat into the middle. On a steak - doesn't matter because that stuff is on the outside and gets destroyed when it's cooked. So unless you dump hideous chemicals into ground meat, it's not really ever going to be safe to eat less than 160 degrees.

The solution being - grind your own meat with the proper fat content to make an awesome juicy burger, and do it from good cuts of meat. That way when it's cooked to 160 degrees, it still tastes awesome. Therefore I bought a grinder.

And that's my meat story.

10 hours ago, Cliff said:

Totally off topic, but I used to eat my burgers medium rare, because they have flavor and aren't dry. Then I read a few scientific studies and it turns out that it's almost impossible to get rid of horrible things with ground meat because you are literally grinding the bacteria/e-coli/etc from the surface of the meat into the middle. On a steak - doesn't matter because that stuff is on the outside and gets destroyed when it's cooked. So unless you dump hideous chemicals into ground meat, it's not really ever going to be safe to eat less than 160 degrees.

The solution being - grind your own meat with the proper fat content to make an awesome juicy burger, and do it from good cuts of meat. That way when it's cooked to 160 degrees, it still tastes awesome. Therefore I bought a grinder.

And that's my meat story.

yup, anyone who has taken a parasitology course is probably sacred of anything not "well burnt" when it comes to ground products. pork is another scary thing to eat undercooked,lots of nasty things can hang out in there.

41 minutes ago, Pug said:

pork is another scary thing

Pork, at least here in the U.S. isn't as bad as it used to be.  Any hogs marketed commercially has to be grain feed, they can't be slopped.  When they fed the hogs wet garbage, that is were your trichinosis and such came from.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chet K. said:

Pork, at least here in the U.S. isn't as bad as it used to be.  Any hogs marketed commercially has to be grain feed, they can't be slopped.  When they fed the hogs wet garbage, that is were your trichinosis and such came from.

True, as long as it isn't ground you can eat it medium rare as long as it's held at 138 degrees for I can't remember how many seconds. I usually go to 140 though. 150 if it's for my wife. She sees pink in pork she assumes death. Nevermind that pinkness is no longer an accurate indicator of doneness in any meat due to the chemicals they add.