Shop Overhaul Rev 8675309

Tom Cancelleri

Well that was a giant pain in the ass. I drilled my center hole through the wall and through the house. It's just next to the stud so I could screw 2 of the vent cap screws to it. I cut a series of 2" holes with my hole saw and knocked out the bulk of the waste. Then went at it with my Carvex. I used my battery powered angle grinder on the aluminum siding to expand the hole to fit the cap. That fiber board crap they use that is the consistency of dried cow sh%t is awful.

I installed some screening behind the flaps to keep things out.

6e533b910f0d8f4e4e67002ddf8a0f97.jpg

a97fbb1b13e9b538e6671ec476326387.jpg

7abe2ed6692e5644259baaa784a4d146.jpg

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I temporarily wired up the cyclone to test it out and make sure my stuff was good for the upcoming permanent wiring. 

All I can say is WHOA! This thing sucks so hard. Also, I realized that the previous owner's problem wasn't that the CV1800 wasn't powerful enough to keep up with his tools. His problem was his setup, he had the impeller wired up and spinning the wrong way, which was making the airfoils less efficient and creating additional resistance and slow down of the air. I rewired the motor in the box to spin the motor in the other direction and there was an immediate difference on how much more air was getting pulled into the cyclone. Inside the shop, the cyclone is 77 decibels which is actually pretty good, though it's annoyingly loud still. I will need to figure out a way to quiet things up a bit. Outside the shop is another story it's pretty loud out there as well, and I don't think I'll be running the cyclone late at night. Maybe once I have the rest of the ductwork done it'll be a bit quieter. 

Outside sounds like an airplane taking off. I really wanna hook it to my machines and make as much dust as humanly possible

Ugh Spring is here and pressure washing the siding is becoming a reality. 

I'm thinking maybe make a box that doesn't violate HOA rules that can act like a silencer and muffle some of the noise. Maybe try to get rid of some of that machine noise that's leaving through the exhaust vent.

2 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I was thinking I might try spraying the exhaust pipe with Boom Mat, which is an acoustic sound material. The problem right now is the exhaust pipe is carrying the sound of the motor through it creating that harmonic vibration that's being exhausted.

This sounds like the easiest/cheapest thing to try up front.  I wrapped the hvac pipes that run through the laundry room with an insulation wrap and the sound dropped a lot to mostly just a low frequency hum.

I may have figured out the layout that gives my tools the ability to be stationary with maybe an occasion when I need to move my router table around a bit. This gives me 8 feet infeed/outfeed at the table saw, jointer, planer, 20" bandsaw, and about 7 feet at the drum sander. While the big bandsaw has no outfeed, I thought of a few things I could possibly do to make that a reality. I was thinking a flip down ledge from the wall on the other side of the steps, just to the left of the lathe. This layout also groups the big chip makers fairly close to the dust collector. It will require that I run dropped outlets from the ceiling for the planer, drum sander, and table saw. 

Screen_Shot_2016_03_29_at_3_49_17_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2016_03_29_at_3_49_43_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2016_03_29_at_3_50_29_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2016_03_29_at_3_51_06_PM.png

• Like 1