Picture Test Post

gee-dub

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/17/2017 at 6:21 PM, bleedinblue said:

To bump this, I can't upload 2.7ish mb photos and get the same "bla bla bla -200" error code.

I'm guessing that my new phone's images are too large.  I LOVE this forum's ability to post photos directly from my phone instead of using a third party host...I suppose I'll check for an app that will size photos down.  Can anyone tell me the size limit?

4 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I'm guessing that my new phone's images are too large.  I LOVE this forum's ability to post photos directly from my phone instead of using a third party host...I suppose I'll check for an app that will size photos down.  Can anyone tell me the size limit?

What phone? I use Minima effectively. Third party hosting also works. iPhone will offer selection of quality when emailed to yourself. 

4 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

What phone? I use Minima effectively. Third party hosting also works. iPhone will offer selection of quality when emailed to yourself. 

Android...its a Samsung Galaxy S8.  I use Imgur for third party hosting when I have to,  but I haven't figured out how to easily post pictures from Imgur to here from a phone...and frankly, my phone is a much better, smoother and faster computer than my home desktop.  I've literally sat at the computer desk browsing on my phone.  We live in a weird world.

The size limit seems arbitrary.    Until a month or so ago it would resize any picture automatically.  

now it sometimes chokes on 1.5mb pictures ("upload failed") but will take a 2.2mb picture.   When a picture fails I edit it in my iphone's built in editing interface and then in uploads fine.  

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

After about a week I just couldn't take it anymore & deleted it.

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

Same.  I've tried it a few times and always end up abandoning it.

Yeah I hate it too but it's good for a quick forum fix when you're out and about and have time to kill.  I generally hate doing anything internet-related on the phone.

I also don't really like phone-quality pics so I try to take the important ones with the DSLR (I need as much help as I can get).  But for utilitarian purposes I'll use tapatalk to post pics...then go back to the laptop.

I host my images at photobucket which makes resizing issues moot.  I've been planning to subscribe to some kind of cloud service but I don't really understand that stuff so I procrastinate.  I have all of my important pics saved on one laptop and they're not backed up because that takes like ten seconds of effort...if (when) this computer melts down...I'm screwed.  It's happened once before and I still didn't learn my lesson.

Guest Randy

Since having a picture posting problem on another forum, I have been using an online site to resize my photos before posting

picresize.com

It allows the user to select the picture(s) from where ever they are stored on your computer (maybe iPad or iPhone or Android phone also but haven't tried that), resize them to a much smaller size (usually I pick 800), then resave the picture to your device. The new "size" results in a much, much smaller file size, as small as less than 50 kb, which is acceptable on any forum I have posted to. I am not sure what "re-sizing" the photo actually does, but the result is a small file size which can be sent almost anywhere. I assumed it changed the resolution of the photo, but it appears the result is a very sharp, clean photo, at least on the computer screen.

• 2 months later...

I am intermittently having a problem uploading photos to the forum similar to the above posts.

I would like to try limiting file size as suggested.

Does anyone have an idea how to do that on this Android LG mid level phone?

I'm not finding any settings.

37 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I am intermittently having a problem uploading photos to the forum similar to the above posts.

I would like to try limiting file size as suggested.

Does anyone have an idea how to do that on this Android LG mid level phone?

I'm not finding any settings.

If you're just trying to upload phone pics, tapatalk is great for that.  It resizes automatically and it's super easy.  I hate it for everything else but for uploading phone pics it's great.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I took a look at Tapatalk, but after the reviews I thought I would poke my phone some more and see if I couldn't get it to work.  

I came up with a work around that might help someone else, at least with the same phone.  I have an LG Stylo.

Pictures are typically 2 1/2 MB and that can't be adjusted nor can they be resized in Camera or Gallery.  

Workaround:

Go to Gallery sellect picture then Share.   Text the picture to yourself.

Open the Text, then press and hold over the picture to open the sub menu.   Tap Save Attachment. 

Return to Gallery and picture should be there in seperate Album labeled Downloads.

The texting process dumbs down file size and it is now small enough to load on the Forum.

20170819_142015.thumb.jpg.b79d76a2e162abd1b508cb524740dbc7.jpg20170215_144939.thumb.jpg.cd996441cdb1fd1c919856b7c98a0070.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm confused with all of the pixilation problems and most all that's been posted regarding picture size, pixel config etc.  I would just like to upIoad pics without all the bells and whistles! I've tried to get the link to work.... "Click to choose files" and it still does zilch., nada, zero.... Where do I go to get the necessary degree in physics so I can take a class in using downloads on my computer to express my work!   I'm not real good at moving around the computer for chasing down websites to just post a picture. Can someone walk me through the process?

Woodknot

When making a new post, I find the "Click to choose files" link works fine. I am usually doing so from my phone, but it lets me browse the gallery, select the image, and it appears to resize automatically. The only difficulty with larger files seems to stem from my really slow home DSL connection timing out during uploads.