Input on this saw?

bob493

6 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

The trigger is pulled.  I drank one, went outside and looked at her $8K hot tub, and made the order.

Can me and my new saw sleep on your couch?

You Da Man! Just don't wake up in the morning before she does and cancel the order?

8 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Just financial guilt really.  I've spent quite a lot on tools and on my car the past year or so.

Part of me wonders if it was a test when the wife said "don't sell the Domino, just buy the saw," lol.

I'll still get it I'm sure, I just need a couple beers first!

I thikn you and I have the same wife xD

God this is ridiculous, I have guitars worth more than these tools lol.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw/G0771?utm_campaign=zPage

this one right?

wait, is there a particular reason i shouldn't get the g0771? Is the g0715 150$ "better"?

4 hours ago, bob493 said:

this one right?

wait, is there a particular reason i shouldn't get the g0771? Is the g0715 150$ "better"?

The fence on the 715 looks a lot better to me. Also from the pictures the 771 looks like the front rail is 2 parts, which would make it a bit harder to set up.

On 4/25/2016 at 3:51 PM, Chestnut said:

I did a ton of research before i bought my PM1000 and was about the buy the 36-5000 but wanted to buy a saw that would last the rest of my life. Knotscott recommends the 36-725 a lot which appears to be the little brother to this saw. Reviews on both the 36-5000 and 36-725 are favorable.

Most of what I've read and heard about the new Deltas has been positive, but there doesn't appear to be very many of the 36-5000 series saws in service yet.  I like the 36-725 relative to the other choices in the $600 range.  The 36-5000 adds a beefier motor, and a single piece front rail....all of which are upgrades.  I'm just not so sure that it's as good of a bang for the buck.  The G0715P starts to look pretty attractive in that price range, offering at least a comparable fence and motor, full enclosure, and solid cast wings.  

5 hours ago, bob493 said:

this one right?

The 0715p has a riving knife.  That was my single largest reason for getting that instead of the 771.  The 771 is about 100 lbs lighter, which I actually like since I will have to somehow move the saw from my driveway to my walkout basement on a dolly.  As stated, the fence is better on the 715.  I dont know how the fence on the 771 compares to the Delta.

4 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Call them.  They'd most likely be happy to up sell it if it hasn't started packing yet. 

That'd be a downgrade.  I ordered the slightly beefier 0715P.  I'm sure they'd switch it, but I'm sure I'll be happier with the better fence anyway.  I'll just have to eat my wheaties the day it comes.

Hey guys, truly appreciate all the input here.

I went and grabbed the rigid 4512 today. I am just a hobbyist, but the fence and faces felt really nice compared to everything else i played with. I went to menards, sears, lowes, home depot, and some other small stores around here. The delta... the only thing that felt superior was the sheer size of it. Its much larger than the rigid... but as a hobbyist, Im not ripping huge stock any way. The fence was laughable compared to the rigid, the table wasn't smooth, the blade plate insert was extremely awkward (very very thick and had multiple mounting points), and just didn't feel as nice as the rigid. For the money, it was a no brainer to walk away from it.

So here's whats gonna happen. Im gonna set up the rigid today. IF if its not everything i want and need, I'll be returning it and grabbing the grizzly, no questions asked. This will save me a few hundred bucks if it works out, which i can use elsewhere. I know these have been hit or miss, but the reviews online have been overwhelmingly positive, and the demo model in the store actually felt really really nice. 

Ill let you guys know how it is!

edit: Im not sure if its my particular home depot, but the customer service here is absolute fantastic. I was checking out, and made a joke about a military discount (I served 6 years in the navy, they typically only honor disabled and retired for the discount) and said "i wish you guys gave veterans a discount", he asked what branch, said "navy" and he goes "me too!" (older gentleman). We spoke about that for a minute, and he said "hold on, Ill take care of it"... he gave me HIS discount for the saw. Saved me 53$! :)

• Like 1

Well, for my uses, this appears to be just fine!  I can safely use a table saw now, been neglecting my old beast for a while because its just not usable.

For comparison, I haven't finished setting up everything yet, the stock blades gonna be replaced with my forrest 24T flat tooth blade... but the results should speak for themselves. Top is the craftsman with the forrest blade, the bottom is the rigid with the stock blade, food for thought. 

Im gonna scrap the craftsman, the top will be repurposed. Everything seems copasetic on the rigid *Shrug*.

20160429_183543.jpg

Yes, thanks guys. I hope no one is offended I went that route after asking for advice. I figured I had the store down the road, worst I would be is out a couple hours of time, with the potential to save a few hundred dollars for the same result.

Everyones opinion and experiences are greatly appreciated, and didn't fall on deaf ears.

On 4/26/2016 at 1:15 PM, bob493 said:

Haha, lemme rephrase. Why is finding a decent table saw under 750$ so difficult... xD

Prices for items seem to move in tiers  For a "decent" tablesaw I believe your price point is just a bit shy of the entry fee into what a lot of folks might call the "decent" tier at this point in history.  I bought a Craftsman 22124 back when hybrids were all the buzz and the "zipcode" saw was the standard by which others were measured.  Even in 2006 this saw was $1000 but, it came with a $300 fence.

Given the saws mentioned, you seem to have decided that the 'contractor' format is not for you (and I agree completely).  I would list your "must haves" and then look at saws that fit that list.  Average the price of those saws you find and you will have an idea of the price of admission to play in that game.  At this point you can alter your requirements or alter your budget.

I have a handy rationalization tool that helps me talk myself into almost anything.  It goes something like this:

The saw that meets my needs is $1800.  I only want to spend $750.  The difference is $1050.  I plan to use the saw for 10 years:

$1050 / 3650 days is less than 30 cents per day.  Would I pay 30 cents per day to have the saw that meets my needs versus a saw I will have to fettle, buy add-ons for, complain about and blame for less than stellar function?

I inevitably convince myself that a better tool is better than a poor one replaced by the better one I will eventually buy anyway ;-)