Ls;Akfhsdlfhs

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm nothing without my festool.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

And your Festool is nothing without you!

28 minutes ago, Eric. said:

All I know is that the entire contents of my shop don't cost as much as a couple of my buddies' boats...and I have a pretty pimped out shop.  

Reminds me of some comments I get about my Mustang from those who don't know better.  Even with the modifications it's a $23K car all day long, yet I get comments from guys with $40K trucks.

Whatever, it's all hogwash.  But if I had Marc's shop, I'd be able to make some excellent mediocre furniture, instead of regular mediocre furniture.

• Like 2

People make comments more for multiple items like a bunch of clamps or number of systainers a guy has in my opinion, than one item like a boat.  

By the way I am now taking applications for my Sugar Momma, so I can brag about all the sweat gear she bought me.  One criteria is she needs to like playing with wood as much as I do.

8 minutes ago, TIODS said:

It's frustrating when you want to be stretched as a woodworker and all the video makers are catering to the cheap crowd

This has a lot to do with my rant. Probably more than the clamps comment.. Just got lumped into one big venting session.

The comments section on youtube and FB do drive content. Whether or not the content suppliers admit, or recognize it. This hobby is much like any other in which the casual group controls the market. Unfortunately, as Kev alluded to, this leaves us out in the cold. I could not care less what tools someone else is using. However, when content is dictated by the casual consumer, I have a problem with it. 

10 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Plug your ears Graham...

They don't have pallet wood in England. :lol:

• Like 1

I wish it were as simple as blaming obama, but it's not.  I agree with sjk.  I, like a lot of people have had tool envy from where ever across the web, I've never been the guy to say "if i had that i could make that".  I've taken the route of, i want that tool, so I use the tools I got to make what I can to sell and then buy the damn tool.  I got in an argument with one of youtube's (bleeps), on the particular video the guy made his project and showed/told multiple different ways to do it with multiple tools, and the guy still complained.  If you started a business that's "punch a guy in the face from the internet" service, where you pay for the service and they find the person from the internet and actually punch them in the face, you'd be a billionaire.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TIODS said:

It's frustrating when you want to be stretched as a woodworker and all the video makers are catering to the cheap crowd.

That's just pure demographics. For every guy who wants to watch a video about building fine furniture there are 1,000 people interested in a quick and cheap home projects. I bet two thirds of the people watching those videos are women who close YouTube and then try to.convince a boyfriend/husband into building the project for them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Llama said:

This has a lot to do with my rant. Probably more than the clamps comment.. Just got lumped into one big venting session.

The comments section on youtube and FB do drive content. Whether or not the content suppliers admit, or recognize it. This hobby is much like any other in which the casual group controls the market. Unfortunately, as Kev alluded to, this leaves us out in the cold. I could not care less what tools someone else is using. However, when content is dictated by the casual consumer, I have a problem with it. 

With respect tho Mel, it's not just the "casual" consumer.  It's the "cheap" or those who legitimately can't afford the hobby that is being catered to.  Frankly, I don't mind paying for good content but, there's such a limited supply of it out there that you very quickly run out.

6 minutes ago, Andy Wright said:

That's just pure demographics. For every guy who wants to watch a video about building fine furniture there are 1,000 people interested in a quick and cheap home projects. I bet two thirds of the people watching those videos are women who close YouTube and then try to.convince a boyfriend/husband into building the project for them

I don't disagree.  Just wishing there was appropriate content for folks like you and I!

• Like 1

Content is driven by clicks. The people making lots of videos make their living from being able to 1) show their sponsors that they are getting views for the sponsors products and 2) get royalty checks from YouTube for ad clicks.

If your videos get 500 views you make no money, but if your videos get 500,000 views you can build a business 

2 minutes ago, TIODS said:

With respect tho Mel, it's not just the "casual" consumer.  It's the "cheap" or those who legitimately can't afford the hobby that is being catered to.  Frankly, I don't mind paying for good content but, there's such a limited supply of it out there that you very quickly run out.

In the sense I was shooting for, casual = cheap, but more "PC".

22 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Plug your ears Graham...

I absolutely love Graham's work!  Yes, he works with inexpensive material but, I don't live there and don't know what's available to him.  He still applies proper techniques and pays attention to detail.  I'm not a primarily handtool guy but, appreciate his work as it's about the work, not the material being used.

5 minutes ago, Andy Wright said:

Content is driven by clicks. The people making lots of videos make their living from being able to 1) show their sponsors that they are getting views for the sponsors products and 2) get royalty checks from YouTube for ad clicks.

If your videos get 500 views you make no money, but if your videos get 500,000 views you can build a business 

Sound words to those in the same boat as many of us here!  Quit clicking on those build X on 10 bucks worth of CL tools and pallet wood videos ;)

I wonder what the actual number of people watching and commenting are people who just turned off the DIY network, like 90%?  There's a facebook page called woodworking crazy I think, some page that literally just steals videos from youtube and changes the format to not show who does the work.  They posted a video from Kyle Toth, when he turned his segmented doughnut, most the comments were negative because people didn't see a kreg jig and milk paint.  Of course it was a random wood doughnut, but to be able to do that takes some damn skill, probably didn't help it wasn't made from pallets either.

It's not just the "pallet" wood.  It's the cheap tools, the skills, the techniques, etc.  Too many people out there more interested in YouTube hits than producing real wood working videos.  I've actually blocked some because of their blatant scary actions in the shop!  These aren't woodworkers, they're YouTubers trying to get you to click on their link to make a buck 

There is one pretty popular woodworker youtuber who seemed to just mainly catered to the diy crowd in the beginning, but his most recent videos have improved quite a bit to more actual woodworking besides pocket screws and pine, was pretty surprised.  I think the best scary youtube woodwork guy was the one demonstrating kickback and came within millimeters to cutting his fingers off, that was a good one.

• Like 1

Ok, I don't covet your tools, I don't even covet your talent and skills.  Tools are tools, but I use your talent/skills to establish goals, I need goals, for me it is a wasted day if I haven't met a goal.  HOWEVER.... I would have one hell of shop if I paid for my tools,  what I paid for just one of my wife's sewing machines, sew (get it?) I might covet my wife's sewing machine.  Difference is she has talent and I don't.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Ok, I don't covet your tools, I don't even covet your talent and skills.  Tools are tools, but I use your talent/skills to establish goals, I need goals, for me it is a wasted day if I haven't met a goal.  HOWEVER.... I would have one hell of shop if I paid for my tools,  what I paid for just one of my wife's sewing machines, sew (get it?) I might covet my wife's sewing machine.  Difference is she has talent and I don't.

Difference being that you use quality tools and perform quality work!  And, you never complain about what someone else has that you don't.

Also, having seen your work, "no talent" is not a comment I would link with you!

• Like 2