Dining/Gaming Table ready for food and games

Table looks very nice !  Sign it and date it !

Chairs lend themselves to batch production with jigs. You might want to try a prototype out of poplar to see what you are getting into and develop the jigs as you go. Go in with your eyes wide open and research the style chair you want. Working from plans might be smart for your first batch of chairs.  Or use the ones you have and relax gaming at your new table.

Oh yeah I signed and dated the bottom along with a quote from Ronald Reagan; "All great change in America begins at the dinner table."

3 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Or use the ones you have and relax gaming at your new table.

That's the plan for the time being at least. I'm sure at some point I'll make the chair set but I'm good for now.

Nice job man!  Looks great top to bottom!

As far as the chairs go...one word...

IKEA

:D

Seriously, six chairs can be a huge PITA undertaking or a moderate-to-large, but "normal" project...depending on what design you choose.  It's all about the design.  Some are easy, some are very challenging and time consuming.  But judging from your table, you got enough skills...the question is, do you have the patience? :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

It's all about the design.  Some are easy, some are very challenging and time consuming.  But judging from your table, you got enough skills...the question is, do you have the patience? :)

Sooooo, maybe I shouldn't do a set of 6 Blacker House chairs???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric. said:

IKEA

Ban yourself. Do it now.

1 hour ago, mkrusen said:

Comments and critiques always welcome!

WOW! I like this one more than the one Marc did. After seeing this one, I may end up building one after all. 

6 minutes ago, mkrusen said:

Sooooo, maybe I shouldn't do a set of 6 Blacker House chairs???

I thought about making chairs for my table i ended up just making 2 benches because chairs suck. When i move into my next house with a Mrs. I'll buy some chairs.

6 minutes ago, Llama said:

WOW! I like this one more than the one Marc did. After seeing this one, I may end up building one after all. 

Thank ya much. I wanted our table to be more of a dining table so I passed on the accessory rails completely. I also don't plan on making any inserts and I wanted the recessed area to be just as pretty as the top so I used the contrasting walnut sub-frame and a nice piece of cherry ply instead of the birch that Marc used. The only other two differences are that the leg tapers are brought up higher to just under the rails, and the rails themselves have a small chamfer on the bottom edges.

52 minutes ago, Janello said:

Great looking table. That cherry and walnut top are dreamy :wub: 

Thanks! Yeah that curly cherry is pretty sweet stuff.

6 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

The table is stunning!  One question,  how do you remove the panels? 

There is a pin that you push up on from under one of the end rails. That pushes a panel up high enough for you to grab it. You can kind of see it in that second picture where the panel is removed. That little dark spot is the head of the pin.

1 minute ago, Rex Edgar said:

Very nice work! Did you keep up pictures during the process? Would like to see the process!

No sorry I did not. I usually like to, but I was under a pretty tight time crunch on this one so not a whole lot of pictures got taken.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...