New Shop Build

Chris H

I just found this shop build thread. I like reading these. Looks like you are going to have a nice shop.

As far as the insulation discussion, I worked 6 years for a company that sold over $100 million worth of pole barns every year. It was extremely rare for anyone to get sprayed insulation. It just cost too much to put in a pole barn.

On 11/4/2016 at 9:07 PM, K Cooper said:

Before the forum, I had never heard of pouring the slab after the walls are up. Must be a northern thing? Would be interesting to see how they work the floats with the long handle's.

Building first and concrete after was the standard way of building at most pole barn companies.

I saw a couple other shop builds referenced in this thread. I'm going to check them out.

2 hours ago, freedhardwoods said:

I just found this shop build thread. I like reading these. Looks like you are going to have a nice shop.

As far as the insulation discussion, I worked 6 years for a company that sold over $100 million worth of pole barns every year. It was extremely rare for anyone to get sprayed insulation. It just cost too much to put in a pole barn.

Building first and concrete after was the standard way of building at most pole barn companies.

I saw a couple other shop builds referenced in this thread. I'm going to check them out.

Learning, just never ends.  You never know where a good idea might pop up and the palm to the forehead  shakes the gray cells!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichardA said:

Learning, just never ends.  You never know where a good idea might pop up and the palm to the forehead  shakes the gray cells!

I hated school, but I love learning. When I built my first lumber kiln, I didn't know much at all. After literally hundreds of hours of reading and a few years experience, I was known to a lot of people in this area as the go to guy for drying lumber.

I read so much about so many different subjects, I tell people I'm full of useless information. Every once in a while it is useful. :D

• Like 2

On 11/4/2016 at 8:12 PM, estesbubba said:

Getting concrete and electrical will allow things to move along now. Do you have heat yet?

I have temporary heat from my 3-car garage shop.  It's a small kerosene unit, but it kept my un-insulated garage toasty, so it should work in the shop for a winter.  I want to see just how much heat is needed before investing.  I am hoping the insulation does a good enough job that a mini-split will handle heating and cooling, but I'll have a professional out next spring to make a recommendation. 

On 11/4/2016 at 8:07 PM, K Cooper said:

Before the forum, I had never heard of pouring the slab after the walls are up. Must be a northern thing? Would be interesting to see how they work the floats with the long handle's. Regardless, this thing is looking really great!

It's really just simple economics.  The cost of concrete has inflated at an absurd rate for the last 10-15 years.  In addition, the cost of implements like augers on skid loaders has been pretty stable, and even reducing in cost.  So the labor and equipment to "sink" posts has become cheaper than the extra concrete.  Less diameter and less thickness on the pad.  When the floor is also your footings, you have to have a thicker base and more rebar.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2016 at 3:58 AM, davestanton said:

Are you going to line the building?

I am not sure what you mean by "line"?

On 11/17/2016 at 9:22 AM, estesbubba said:

Looks good - are you going to put up walls?

There is a cripple wall in middle to chase wiring as well as add some places to hang jigs and stuff.

• 1 month later...

DC ducting is finally in.  Converted a 2HP HF single stage to a two stage.  

IMG_1553.JPGIMG_1551.JPGIMG_1552.JPGIMG_1557.JPGIMG_1554.JPG

•  

I am getting more dust in the bag below the filter than I would have expected.  I sucked up about a half a barrel (55 gallon) and I'd guess about 15%-20% is in the bag below the filter.  Reviewing others that have posted online, this seems like too much.  Any ideas what would be causing this?  Anyone else experience this?

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

Chris, I did the same thing, filter and all. At first, I was getting only teaspoons of dust in the secondary. Now, about a year later, I'm getting about 50/50 and no idea why. I thought it may have been that the blades were getting coated in crud but checked and they're clean. Don't know bud?

21 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Any concerns with the piping being hung so low?  Coming along awesome!

They are higher than they may seem.  Each is at least 7' from the floor.  I am only about 6', so it isn't a big concern.  I debated running it at the ceiling, but didn't want to add extra vertical climb for and decent fighting gravity and adding sharper bends and hurting airflow / CFM.  I keep reading that the HF DC is under powered, so I am trying to help it as much as possible.  I did intentionally buildit so it would be easy to pop up high down the road if it's a issue.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2016 at 9:43 PM, K Cooper said:

Chris, I did the same thing, filter and all. At first, I was getting only teaspoons of dust in the secondary. Now, about a year later, I'm getting about 50/50 and no idea why. I thought it may have been that the blades were getting coated in crud but checked and they're clean. Don't know bud?

I found out what the issue was on mine, and I am hoping this can help you too.  Seems the sheet metal that connects the wyn filter is clipped to buckled.  I am assuming this was from one of the many times I was moving it around prior to fixing it in place.  

Here is a pic to show what I mean:IMG_1562.JPG]

Simply adjusting those and tightening them down has almost eliminated the problem.  So I'd guess your issue is similar, in that you don't have enough resistance from the filter.  Could be the clips not adding enough tension or some other gap somewhere beyond the separator.  

Hope this helps!

• Like 1