Hijack!

Llama

I was actually thinking of going the other way, stopping at 180. It's gloss to match the table and shelves, which came from Ikea awhile back.

Thanks for the tip about high grit before the final coat. We'll see how well it turns out, but perhaps I should have bought more than a quart. 

Do you hit anything above a certain grit by hand? I'll need to get some above 320 either way.

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Wait does this mean we're supposed to post ALL of our projects?  :o

Yeah I don't post a lot of stuff....because most of it is just quick stuff for around the house that isn't very nice and no one would care. Post the stuff you want to share, for whatever reason. If not, no worries. 

4 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Yeah I don't post a lot of stuff....because most of it is just quick stuff for around the house that isn't very nice and no one would care. Post the stuff you want to share, for whatever reason. If not, no worries. 

I know what you mean. I used this

14947931_10101157607397629_5761140259904

And this

14947719_10101157607347729_5089828391180

to make a door frame

14908364_10101157607317789_6232860208521

and i felt like i was cheating my tools for simple carpentry work. Then i realized isn't that what they are really intended for?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Anyone know if Laguna does a black friday sale? 

I've made my decision. The 1412, and will save the other $600 I have for Domino. Domino is faster if the bandsaw goes on sale though. 

So there's a Black Friday sale on dominos? 

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

59b3c94f72d139655411f21dd98e5779.jpg

Just because!

But there's so many reasons not too!

• Like 1

Just now, K Cooper said:

So there's a Black Friday sale on dominos? 

But there's so many reasons not too!

I have no idea. I must have worded that badly. If I can catch the bandsaw on sale, I'll be able to get the Domino faster because I'll have a couple of hundred extra to save towards it. 

Just now, Cliff said:

I have no idea. I must have worded that badly. If I can catch the bandsaw on sale, I'll be able to get the Domino faster because I'll have a couple of hundred extra to save towards it. 

Watch woodcraft i bought my laguna through them and have seen multiple 10% sales. Shipping to my door was only 75$ as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Chestnut said:

Watch woodcraft i bought my laguna through them and have seen multiple 10% sales. Shipping to my door was only 75$ as well.

That's what I like to hear :) Sadly I saw it for sale at Rockler for $987 last month but I didn't have the cash yet. 

8 minutes ago, Llama said:

If you order through Acme, you get to pay no tax... I got mine the other day.

No shipping, no tax? That makes it the best deal. Though this close to BF I feel like I have to wait to see if I can get 10% in on that great deal too. 

Thanks for letting me know. I usually try to buy through amazon so Marc can get his cut but I'm down with saving money.

*edit - Oh wow they still charge $75 handling fee. So I'm still at $1172, but save $100 in tax.

I think Laguna usually does 10 or 15% off machines on BF.  Although if I remember correctly, last year it was only 15% off accessories.  But it's only a couple weeks so I'd definitely wait to see.  There won't be any discounts on Dominoes, just like there never is.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Llama said:

That's what I paid.

Cheapest I could find it for...

I've never ordered a big tool. DId they call you up and schedule a time? Cause I can only do Friday afternoons or saturdays. And they drop it at the end of your driveway? And then you have to figure out how to get it where you need it?

2 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I've never ordered a big tool. DId they call you up and schedule a time? Cause I can only do Friday afternoons or saturdays. And they drop it at the end of your driveway? And then you have to figure out how to get it where you need it?

Mine was droped off in front of my house it comes in a medium sized semi. I had to figure out how to get it around to my garage which is behind my house on an alley.

Just now, Chestnut said:

Mine was droped off in front of my house it comes in a medium sized semi. I had to figure out how to get it around to my garage which is behind my house on an alley.

That's a big concern. Says it's 350lbs. I do have an appliance dolly with straps, that might do it. 

I honestly may not even assemble it until march. My shop is in shambles until I get the ceiling up and i'm blowing my heating budget on tools. Probably be out of commission all winter again.

Just now, Cliff said:

That's a big concern. Says it's 350lbs. I do have an appliance dolly with straps, that might do it. 

I honestly may not even assemble it until march. My shop is in shambles until I get the ceiling up and i'm blowing my heating budget on tools. Probably be out of commission all winter again.

So why not get the domino. It's portable and you could use it strait away? Or save till march for that saw stop ;)

Just now, Chestnut said:

So why not get the domino. It's portable and you could use it strait away? Or save till march for that saw stop ;)

For the work I plan in the next year or so a bandsaw really is the most valuable tool for me. I can get the bandsaw, the domino within a few weeks/months apart, or save the money and try to add to it for another year and get the sawstop. I'm just not that responsible. I'll probably do a side job and bang out the Sawstop with zero saving. That's how I buy things. My tool budget is almost entirely from sidework or bonuses, etc. My regular checks I blow on small things like wood, misc things that are less than $500.

I'm not the smartest budgeter, but I know myself, I will find a way to spend my savings if I try to save for a new table saw.

4 minutes ago, Cliff said:

For the work I plan in the next year or so a bandsaw really is the most valuable tool for me. I can get the bandsaw, the domino within a few weeks/months apart, or save the money and try to add to it for another year and get the sawstop. I'm just not that responsible. I'll probably do a side job and bang out the Sawstop with zero saving. That's how I buy things. My tool budget is almost entirely from sidework or bonuses, etc. My regular checks I blow on small things like wood, misc things that are less than $500.

I'm not the smartest budgeter, but I know myself, I will find a way to spend my savings if I try to save for a new table saw.

I know we've been over this before, i was just trying to fill you head with table saw dreams.

Here is a pic of how my lauguna came to my door.

9e1e99af615a761de2632500cb929e86.jpg

b375b95c7cc48ba0db6e64c7765c1215.jpg

Pallet was on the side as you can see so you could probably grab it with a dolly and a strap and move it fine. It was packaged in stryofoam really well and even if you got it upside down it wouldn't matter much, I was REALLY impressed by their packaging there was no way this would be damaged in transit.

• Like 1