Hijack!

Llama

Had a leak from the dishwasher last week, and tonight discovered that my tablesaw sits directly underneath the dishwasher, and most importantly the hole in the floor for the washers electrical. :(  I got to spend a half hour tonight scrubbing the rust off my eight month old saw.  No damage of course, but a PITA.

Must be the season for leaks. Our upstairs toilet developed a leak around the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl (Auto-refill feature when the water gets low! Cool!) and wiped out much of a soffit and our TV in the room below it. That's a $2000 repair/replace bill I didn't need just now. :(  Oh well, it's only money, right?

On 11/19/2016 at 7:39 PM, bleedinblue said:

Had a leak from the dishwasher last week, and tonight discovered that my tablesaw sits directly underneath the dishwasher, and most importantly the hole in the floor for the washers electrical. :(  I got to spend a half hour tonight scrubbing the rust off my eight month old saw.  No damage of course, but a PITA.

Ours leaked last September... ruined 50% of the maple hardwood flooring in our kitchen and dining room and a bunch of the laminate flooring in the living room before we caught it. Took about 4 months for everything to be said and done with all of the vendors and the insurance claim. Ours was a 2k deductible but I was able to work out a deal where I did some of the work to offset this. Ended up with a new kitchen counter and new flooring in our entire downstairs (so it would all match since the rooms were all connected... insurance paid for it all). Was a pain in the process but we're happy with the changes now.

Hopefully yours goes well and the damage isn't spread too far.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

What leaked. This makes me wonder if dishwashers are even worth it. I don't have a disposal or dishwasher and don't really understand the need.

I'm betting no kids? Keep thinking that way. It is so very easy to hand wash and compost for two. With the kids, it is easier to train them to load the washer for a time, better to train them to hand wash for a time, and then better on the schedule to go back to the washer. I grew up without one, use one now, and will not spend money when this one dies. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

What leaked. This makes me wonder if dishwashers are even worth it. I don't have a disposal or dishwasher and don't really understand the need.

They don't leak too often when installed correctly, but things happen. I grew up without one, and I agre with Carus, you should just keep doing what you're doing...once you have a DW you tend to need more plates/cups because they are all dirty sitting in the DW waiting for a full load.

15 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

The drain hose somehow wore a small hole in it (like it had rubbed against something for a long period of time) and the leak was slow enough that by the time we discovered it (by the sudden curling of the flooring) it had spread quite far. As for living without a dishwasher... I've got three kids and a very busy household so between the five of us in the house, we produce a lot of dishes at mealtime. Doing them all by hand every time sounds awful... and it WAS awful while it was all torn up... to the point that we just started using paper plates/bowls/cups until it was done.

If the zombie apocalypse happens, I'll wash dishes by hand out of necessity... until then, I want my modern conveniences.