Hijack!

Llama

7 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I know we've been over this before, i was just trying to fill you head with table saw dreams.

Here is a pic of how my lauguna came to my door.

Pallet was on the side as you can see so you could probably grab it with a dolly and a strap and move it fine. It was packaged in stryofoam really well and even if you got it upside down it wouldn't matter much, I was REALLY impressed by their packaging there was no way this would be damaged in transit.

Oh man. Wow. That is a lot more assembled than I thought it would be. 

You know.. it's a very difficult decision to choose between my phase 2 tools. But one clincher is that my bandsaw - isn't mine. And sucks bigtime. It doesn't even have a fence.

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

I'm not sure what happened, but I just ordered a Domino. That's ok. I'll need to save a few hundred more and can get the 1412 hopefully by january. 

I want everything. That is the problem. 

Nice one, Cliff!  Did you end up ordering the assorted dominos & cutters, too?

15 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

Nice one, Cliff!  Did you end up ordering the assorted dominos & cutters, too?

Yup! I wanted to get the cutters out if the way.

I didn't order the domino with trim stop and cross stop. Didn't know what they were, but now I do so I will just order them separately if I want.

Lee Valley shooting plane is at more door and it's difficult for me to not leave work right now and go play with it.

f21a87f34636b5e507c5ca1f33bdc16f.jpg

11 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Yup! I wanted to get the cutters out if the way.

I didn't order the domino with trim stop and cross stop. Didn't know what they were, but now I do so I will just order them separately if I want.

I think the trim stop is more useful then the cross stop for panels and what not I've found that just throwing lines on the board is enough to keep large glue ups aligned the accuracy of spacing them perfectly seems a bit absurd.

The joiner trim stop is ocassionally useful. I never use the cross stop, call me if you want a slightly used one.

The base support bracket was useful until I got a Domiplate from Seneca. That is my most used domino accessory . Sets up for 1/2" & 3/4" stock and is much better than the stock fence. I use a lot of 5/8 Baltic to make drawers. 2 thin shims under the 1/2" side lines it up perfect for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Llama said:

Acme has 10% off today... 

It was 15% off yesterday. Both Festool and Laguna are not part of the sale. :( Had either one been, that would have been a done deal. 

8 hours ago, wdwerker said:

The joiner trim stop is ocassionally useful. I never use the cross stop, call me if you want a slightly used one.

The base support bracket was useful until I got a Domiplate from Seneca. That is my most used domino accessory . Sets up for 1/2" & 3/4" stock and is much better than the stock fence. I use a lot of 5/8 Baltic to make drawers. 2 thin shims under the 1/2" side lines it up perfect for me.

I'm definitely going to be looking at a bunch of videos and getting advice from you guys before buying any helpers. I want to be able to bang out repeatable plywood joints for my garage cabinets. 

Domino arrived from Acme tools. They sent me a 10% off coupon to use for 15 days. Then excluded the only things I want to buy like Laguna. 

Now unfortunately.. I'm not sure I'll even be able to use the Domino until March. Shop is in disarray from trying to get the ceiling up and it might be three weeks before that is done (due to my helper staff) and there is still no heat out there. Oh and the 3 projects I'm working on now do not need tenons. Oops. 

2 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Does someone usually start a black Friday thread here?  I don't think I was here this time last year.  I need some things, mainly a track saw, and am completely up in the air between a Grizzly, TS55 and everything in between.  A BF sale might help me decide.

Depends on your budget and ultimate needs - If you're only breaking down sheet goods then the FT is overkill IMO

Just now, TIODS said:

Depends on your budget and ultimate needs - If you're only breaking down sheet goods then the FT is overkill IMO

Yeah, like Eric said, the FT really shines when used with the MFT.  A MFT isn't really in my radar, no good place for it.  All of Grizzlys problems seem easily remedied.

@bleedinblue The reason that kicked me towards FT was all the reports of warped tracks from some of the other guys. I just didn't want to deal with it. I'm lucky to have a FT dealer in town but no local store sells any other brands track saw. Being able to walk strait up to an authorized dealer and talk about issues is valuable at times. I might have been shallow and pedantic with that choice but hey it's my money.

I'm not seeing a lot of reviews saying they ended up with warped tracks.  That would be a concern though.

The Makita is probably the likely choice if I decide the Griz isn't good enough but I don't want to pay for the festool.  The Makita does come in a systainer, too.   The Dewalt plunge action seems wonky, and I haven't seen much info on the Triton.

I do have the Festool sander rebate voucher though, so if I decide on the FT, there's $50 off the top.

I'm not seeing a lot of reviews saying they ended up with warped tracks.  That would be a concern though.

The Makita is probably the likely choice if I decide the Griz isn't good enough but I don't want to pay for the festool.  The Makita does come in a systainer, too.   The Dewalt plunge action seems wonky, and I haven't seen much info on the Triton.

I do have the Festool sander rebate voucher though, so if I decide on the FT, there's $50 off the top.

I have the makita. The track is straight along the cut, which is the most important thing... But it is slightly bowed along its length when you lay it flat, so I have to use the clamps to keep it that most of the time. Cut quality is great, dust collection is great, price was awesome. The systainer will stack with festool o ones, but the latches on it suck in comparison. Not worth the huge price difference to me for a better systainer, just saying you should lower expectations a little :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

See, it's things like that that makes me lean back toward the Grizzly.  A YouTube review I watched on the Makita spelled out a handful of minor problems, a little wobble in the track, a couple holes that had to be plugged for dust collection, maybe even the bowed track (?)  All very similar things to the Griz, but for $150 more.  Granted, if the Makita falls under some BF 10-15% off sale, that could seal the deal.

Ultimately it doesn't seem like you can go wrong with any of them.