Hijack!

Llama

I just pour what I need from this .

http://www.rockler.com/mixing-mate-paint-lid-gallon-size-stir-pour-and-store

They make quart size as well. Stirring stain, satin finishes and anything pigmented frequently is a good idea so I give it a few cranks each time I pour.  It's a bit harder to pour back any unused finish so I tend to pour smaller amounts. I take the lid off if there is a lot to pour back from a spray gun.  I have seen these in auto body shops with laquer in them kept that way for months .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 21meyer said:

There was a discussion about using secondary containers for finishing in a project journal thread but I didn't want to continue the hijack so I'm asking the question here.  I have been using the secondary container technique for quite a while and it's the only way to go.  My question is, what do you use to transfer the finish from the can to the container?  Maybe it's just me but whenever I simply pour from a finish or paint can, I end up spending way too much time cleaning around the rim.  I've seen guys poke holes in the rim and let the mess just drip back into the can slowly.  I'm not convinced this doesn't introduce more problems than just the mess so I've never tried it.  Anybody have good luck with that method?  I've been using a turkey baster to transfer for about a year now and while it works well, I'm curious if anyone has any tricks I haven't stumbled upon yet?

This is the best method for free gas AND transferring finish

Siphon-gas.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davewyo said:

I can't stand waiting for shipments that come by "freight." It's like waiting for the cable guy.

Junk boat from China is worse.

I don't want to know who you vote for, what you worship, nothing. I'd rather judge you by how ugly your shoes are in the feet up thread.

• Like 1

600 - 800 is plenty. But a gloss finish should be sprayed for best results. If rolling/brushing allow it to dry for a week or more then sand and rub out the finish followed by buffing to achieve a decent gloss. Gloss will show every flaw in a surface. It's a lot more work. When decorators specify gloss I tell them it costs 30% more just due to the number of coats and increased labor. 95% of them accept satin, a few want at least semigloss. 

13 minutes ago, Cochese said:

Now, now. Be nice. Saw an article where Norm went to 220, but I think that might be too much.

Oh, sorry...thought you were joking. :unsure:

Gotta ask...why gloss?

And I'd stop at 220, regardless.  Whenceforth you see no scratches, there art thou no scratches.

I sand 320 between the first and second coats, and 600 between each subsequent coat.  That works well for satin.  I have no experience with gloss so maybe higher is better, but I don't see how it would matter.

I rarely sand raw wood higher than 220.  Sometimes I'll take end grain to 320 if I'm feeling up to it.  Usually I'm not.