Hijack!

Llama

Man.. I want to post one of those cliche questions.. what should I buy:

Laguna 1412 + Bosch 12" SCMS
Domino + Bosch SCMS
Supermax 19-38
Save for the Sawstop

But I know nobody knows what I need better than me. It would be a silly question. I feel like everything is essential for what I want to do. Well, no, the SCMS is not, but having one means I can only use my table saw for rip cuts and that is nice until I upgrade it. 

I guess I could get the bandsaw and put the rest aside for a Domino. The domino moves up the list because I have a couple of projects planned with dozens of M&T.

Just musing out loud. 

1 minute ago, TIODS said:

All of the above and by the weekend!  Got stuff to do!

Yeah. That's the real issue isn't it? Everything would make me happier. I could probably swing all but the table saw by xmas. i might miss out on clamp sale that way though.

33 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Laguna + domino. Just responding out loud. 

Bandsaw is a must and SCMS and drum sander are luxuries. I went 15 years without an SCMS and it wasn't until the Roubo that I wished I had one. Now I'm building a station for the Bosch 10" glide. Domino is crazy priced but also crazy useful. 

Or get all by the weekend. 

10 hours ago, Cliff said:

SCMS is on the list because my table saw sucks and the one I want is double my current upcoming tool budget. And.. SCMS is only like $650 and I can get 11% off through Menards on it. It's so cheap it's almost free! heh.

Save for the table saw it's the one thing you ALWAYS mention being a shortfall. For my readings it just makes sense for you. I know you see it as well it's just an expensive tool.

Band saw is a luxuary item i love mine but don't use it a ton. SCMS i wish i never bought mine I'd give you mine if you lived closer.

I'm with Drew that saving for a table saw would be priority over buying a SCMS just because it's cheaper. Build a sled for the TS and it will do perfect crosscuts. I'm opposite of Drew in that I couldn't live without my bandsaw and put that 2nd on your list behind the TS. Domino and drum sander tie for 3rd. Domino is nice and once you use it you'll forget about the price, and drum sander is a luxury item but sanding glued up boards with a ROS sucks. SCMS would be 5th on my list. 

50 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I'm with Drew that saving for a table saw would be priority over buying a SCMS just because it's cheaper. Build a sled for the TS and it will do perfect crosscuts. I'm opposite of Drew in that I couldn't live without my bandsaw and put that 2nd on your list behind the TS. Domino and drum sander tie for 3rd. Domino is nice and once you use it you'll forget about the price, and drum sander is a luxury item but sanding glued up boards with a ROS sucks. SCMS would be 5th on my list. 

I'd be interested to know what you use your bandsaw for Mike. I might not use mine as much because i have to go upstairs unlock my garage make my cut and then carry everything back down stairs. I might use it a lot more if it was actually in my shop.

I think a bandsaw is pretty justified. I am planning some mass production of coasters with .. I don't know what the technique is called, where you cut a curve in it then glue in a thin piece of a contrasting wood. I also break down rough lumber a lot and usually the jigsaw comes in handy for that, but several times i've wanted a bandsaw for it instead. I mean, I know we all break down lumber. But I buy some gnarly air-dried stuff sometimes and it's really a pain trying to break down a 12" wide board into 2 inch strips when it's 55" long.

*note - I have a bandsaw, it's just horrid and keeps breaking. and technically I'm borrowing it. A tire broke on it for the second time in a few months. 

The biggest negative for a table saw is I can get $2000 together in the next month or so, then I have no idea how long to get the other $1000+ for the one I want. Could be a month, could be 12. I'm not good at saving. Money tends to disappear from my life! 

So yeah, I 100% agree that the table is the best improvement I could make since I can't get it to work consistently up to my standards, but I know myself. It would be a little bit of "Oh, I should buy the cxs.. that won't hurt my saving much" and "Well I need to complete that Dark Knight Returns set and get them graded" and "Holy hell, I must buy all the walnut." And then it's gone and I didn't get anything I truly needed to help me out, just got some things that were nice to have. This is why I tend to jump on whatever is on what I consider to be the "need" list in whatever configuration I can afford at that moment. 

Another thing I realized is that I'd probably pick up the systainer with the extra cutter heads and dominoes. So that adds another $300 to that $970 price tag. Eats up more budget than I thought originally. 

A close up encounter with a steam locomotive is something special ! Take pictures of him with the train. They may be treasured much later in his life. Very few steam locomotives in running condition these days . The first machine to reach 100 mph was a steam engine. If you can swing a ride in the cab jump on it !

We have a steam locomotive on display here as a tourist type thing, because this is like railroad central. I don't think it's ran for 40+ or so years. I remember going on a field trip to see it when I was a kid, and then got some of my wedding photos taken in front of it.