Hijack!

Llama

Just now, Immortan D said:

Sorry to hear that, bleedinblue.

Does he have the stationary bike wired to the gaming console? I also have one of those recumbent bikes and did some research on that subject, they sell sensors you attach to the bike and then you can use it to control certain type of video games, like a joystick of sorts. I think it would be interesting.

Interesting idea but no he just has a cheapo one.

Anyone here use a Fitbit or other fitness tracker? I got one almost three years ago and have averaged 12,000 steps per day since getting it. I do a lot of walking and hiking and try to do a 2 mile walk every afternoon at work year-round and hike weekends in the fall, winter, and spring. I lost some good weight doing it but have creeped up a little the past year but trying to kick another 20 lbs in the next 6 months. 

24 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

We lost a guy thismorning in my wife's precinct.  If you are the praying type, we, and especially his blood family, could use it.

Sad news - thoughts and prayers your way!

I've got a Flex, but I can't tell you where it is right now. I don't like to work with anything on my wrists, so inevitably whenever I get up from my desk it gets left there - defeating the purpose.

It seems like it might be plantar fascitis. My Achilles might also be injured, which could have contributed.

Re: rotator cuff -- just had arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery last January, and am so glad I did. Long story short: physical therapy can help, but didn't in my case. MRI was inconclusive, showing only a partial tear. Finally got tired of waking up in pain every time I turned over in bed and had the surgery. Turns out I had all kinds of fscked-up stuff going on that wasn't apparent on MRI: full tear, ginormous calcification around the injury, poor tissue clearance around the bones. Got it all fixed, did PT like the doctor ordered, and I'm doing great. I even got a video of the surgery afterward; pretty cool to see how things were sliced, diced, and reassembled using only a couple tools poked through slits in the skin.

Yeah, that first week post-surgery was rough, sleeping sitting up the whole time. No way around that. But I was off the pain meds in three days, my body healed far more rapidly than I expected, and I had no post-op complications.** As always, your mileage may vary. Consult your doctor before attempting home surgery options. Emergency exits are located over the wing, two to the front, and two to the rear. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

**I've got a pretty high pain tolerance (square-headed Dutch descendant here) so getting off the opiates quickly was great. I can't stand that stuff, makes me feel sick. As for healing, a month earlier we'd ditched all carbs and refined sugar from our meals. I suspect the lack of carb-based inflammatory response meant my shoulder could spend all its time healing rather than fighting itself part of the time.

• Like 1

Wow. Sounds like my life story folks.

I wrestled and played baseball in college. Had eight concussions, right shoulder dislocated five times, left shoulder dislocated four times. Back in the disco era they just threw you back in after smelling salts or popping shoulder in. Rotator cuff destroyed playing third base making a throw. Now I deal with pain many days and I can throw a ball about ten feet.

Nowadays after the second concussion I would have been permanently benched. The world is changing.

Looked into surgery a few times and it seems that the improvement I would get is minor enough not to make it worthwhile.

8 hours ago, Eric. said:

That's surprising.  I would think with the perfect weather and all the mountains you guys would have amazing rides.  I could see Washington state being great though for sure.

I also prefer riding outside...when the weather is right.  But in St. Louis it's either too hot or too cold six or seven months out of the year.  I did a decent ride on Sunday...cool, crisp perfect fall morning.  I never felt better.  But it's gonna be snowing in a month and I'll be out of commission.

That is what I thought too. Most of the roads are in horrible shape, traffic is a bit heavy and the not a lot of roads are bike friendly.

I can imagine the weather is your biggest enemy in the Midwest. There is a chance I might end up in Chicago, so I would be in the same boat as you.

10 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Anyone here use a Fitbit or other fitness tracker? I got one almost three years ago and have averaged 12,000 steps per day since getting it. I do a lot of walking and hiking and try to do a 2 mile walk every afternoon at work year-round and hike weekends in the fall, winter, and spring. I lost some good weight doing it but have creeped up a little the past year but trying to kick another 20 lbs in the next 6 months. 

Sad news - thoughts and prayers your way!

I got my wife a Fitbit for Xmas last year.

She is addicted to it. Her friends and family are constantly challenging each other to up their steps. She has to put it on her ankle when she rides the bike or it doesn't record a workout. I find that amusing. Not that she has to put it on her ankle, but that she should care if her gadget is recording her activities.

I think the interesting thing is how it records your sleep patterns. That's wild, and a little creepy in a Minority Report sort of way.

I've averaged about 6 days a week for the last 7, going on 8 months.  So it's not worthless and I'm not hanging clothes on it yet!

The neat thing about that particular spin bike is that you stream live classes on the computer on the front of it.  So there's an instructor there to keep you motivated and guide you through each ride, plus you can compete against other riders in real time because there's a "leader board" on the computer as well.  All that stuff is critical to me because I'm not great at self-motivating.  If I had to run on a treadmill or around a track twenty times with nothing but my own thoughts to keep me company, I'd quit after the second lap.

Awesome this is working out for you, Whatever keeps you motivated. I have a whole trainer setup that I hardly ever use. Heat doesn't stop my rides and I've ridden in weather as cold as 13degrees F. Going out always sounds better than stationary riding to me. But to your point about your virtual coach, a stationary setup is hard to beat for a very regimented workout, interval training or long constant effort something of the sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I hope it was non-violent. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you everyone.  Unfortunately he was murdered.  Had this 911 call been made a half hour later, my wife would have responded.  This happened just before shift change, she was getting ready to leave for work.

http://www.ksdk.com/mb/news/crime/officer-injured-in-south-st-louis-county/329479084

On a lighter note, I don't recommend the Fitbit to anyone.  They do not hold up.  I had one for six months and it fell apart.  I opted out and didn't replace it.  My wife is on her second one and we need to re-start the warranty replacement process because the silicone on hers is separating, again.  They seem to have different failure points, too.  All three of these have failed in different places.

26 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

Yes, same here. I haven't really messed with it much yet to be honest. I got the stand assembled, halfassed the tables and fired it up. It was getting late and i just wanted to try it out. Sure beats a belt sander.

Could i just add  6' section of hose to this and hang it out the door to keep the dust and chips out of the shoebox?

I have a 20' x 4" hose connected to my dc and it balloons the bag before I ever turn the dc on. A 6' hose would work fine and will probably look like a cannon when you're planing!

• Like 1

Yes, same here. I haven't really messed with it much yet to be honest. I got the stand assembled, halfassed the tables and fired it up. It was getting late and i just wanted to try it out. Sure beats a belt sander.

Could i just add  6' section of hose to this and hang it out the door to keep the dust and chips out of the shoebox?

Yeah that would be better than nothing. Wear a mask though, lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk