Hijack!

Llama

@Cochese & @JosephThomas I was being a crumedgon because i don't have the ability to run. Between my ankle and my body's lack of functioning that way, i could never run more then 100 feet. Give me ice skates or a bike and i can go all day. My favorite method of exercise was always skating be it on land or ice. When i was in college I'd probably get 25 miles in a day.

I haven't been able to run much in a decade, but I had been making good progress. I had been doing about 10km total a week, with up to 500m of that running at a time. Not great, but I couldn't do 100 feet before without my legs seizing. I have tree trunk legs, very muscular and dense. The tightness is probably what did me in, as I wasn't stretching (wasn't seeing much improvement when I did, but at least I didn't get injured).

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

No idea what you're talking about. If you weren't exercising at all before running, sure that's an improvement. Bone mass isn't the problem anyone above is describing...all are soft tissue problems.

I'm talking about running not being the boogie man it was thought to be 10 or 20 years ago. I'm not using my experience as support for this argument, but rather quantified scientific studies that I've read about. And soft tissue, not just bone mass benefits from load bearing, impact exercise (of which running is).

But running doesn't work for some, & that's fine. Cycling, swimming, skating, any exercise is great.

53 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I'm talking about running not being the boogie man it was thought to be 10 or 20 years ago. I'm not using my experience as support for this argument, but rather quantified scientific studies that I've read about. And soft tissue, not just bone mass benefits from load bearing, impact exercise (of which running is).

But running doesn't work for some, & that's fine. Cycling, swimming, skating, any exercise is great.

I'm with Carus...if you're gonna slowly jog barefoot through the savanna all day chasing your tribe's dinner, that's probably great for you.  But mile after mile after mile of pounding concrete in running shoes is a recipe for knee transplants.  Ask my dad.

33 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I'm with Carus...if you're gonna slowly jog barefoot through the savanna all day chasing your tribe's dinner, that's probably great for you.  But mile after mile after mile of pounding concrete in running shoes is a recipe for knee transplants.  Ask my dad.

Concrete's terrible to run on. Not only is hard, but it's too grippy & doesn't allow any twisting motion while the foot is in contact with the ground. Even asphalt is better than that. Most of my running is on the treadmill at 4:30 weekday mornings, or on dirt paths on weekends. And my running is pretty darn slow.

Eh exercising is a waste. I can workout all day and burn 4000 cals but can jam 4000 in my face in less than 10 mins. 

FYI, I know it's not really a waste. But for weight loss, fixing diet should be everyone's first step. Of course, doing both is even better. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Eh exercising is a waste. I can workout all day and burn 4000 cals but can jam 4000 in my face in less than 10 mins. 

FYI, I know it's not really a waste. But for weight loss, fixing diet should be everyone's first step. Of course, doing both is even better. 

Agreed that you can't out-exercise a bad diet.  But you can be skinny and in terrible shape.  The body needs cardio-vascular training or it withers and dies.  You can lose weight on a diet alone, but you can't get healthy without exercise.

It's freaking miserable for the first month or two.  Then you start feeling better...and better...and better.  It feeds on itself and soon you feel like a new man.  I still have some weight to lose but after working out hard and eating right for the last seven months, I'm healthier now than I have been since I was a teenager.

13 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Agreed that you can't out-exercise a bad diet.  But you can be skinny and in terrible shape.  The body needs cardio-vascular training or it withers and dies.  You can lose weight on a diet alone, but you can't get healthy without exercise.

It's freaking miserable for the first month or two.  Then you start feeling better...and better...and better.  It feeds on itself and soon you feel like a new man.  I still have some weight to lose but after working out hard and eating right for the last seven months, I'm healthier now than I have been since I was a teenager.

I don't disagree there. But that is "healthy" vs "losing weight" I mean, either way, I think exercise is good, just not as good as many people believe. I miss going to the gym and exercising, back when I worked at home and it was easy. Now it's very hard since I am away from home 12 hours/day.

2 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I don't disagree there. But that is "healthy" vs "losing weight" I mean, either way, I think exercise is good, just not as good as many people believe. I miss going to the gym and exercising, back when I worked at home and it was easy. Now it's very hard since I am away from home 12 hours/day.

Well, who can blame them? Cardio health got promoted as a god and people thought 20 minutes three times a week was going to keep them fit. It is more of people hyper focusing on a thing without common sense to see how it fits in context. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Completely worthless 6 months after purchase.  Absolutely no place to hang clothes!

Go to your local park with a jogging track, position yourself behind a babe with a kick ass figure, half your age ( over 18, and at my age, not a problem ), and try and keep up. Good for the heart, good for the mind! 

I've averaged about 6 days a week for the last 7, going on 8 months.  So it's not worthless and I'm not hanging clothes on it yet!

The neat thing about that particular spin bike is that you stream live classes on the computer on the front of it.  So there's an instructor there to keep you motivated and guide you through each ride, plus you can compete against other riders in real time because there's a "leader board" on the computer as well.  All that stuff is critical to me because I'm not great at self-motivating.  If I had to run on a treadmill or around a track twenty times with nothing but my own thoughts to keep me company, I'd quit after the second lap.

I used to ride regularly, until "family values" took priority. I really enjoy riding on quiet country roads, and making distance. Stationary biking was never very exciting to me. Unless you learn to pedal in a standing position frequently, riding a bike can become detrimental to one's dangly bits after a while.

Say hello to my little freind ...

aa97d84b519fbf5c8954a9a945b6c547.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric. said:

This thing has changed my life.  Easy on the joints, great cardio, built-in motivation.  It's not cheap but it's been worth every penny.

https://www.pelotoncycle.com/

Image result for peloton bike

I was considering one of these but I enjoy road riding too much. Although these days I don't get to do much of that. The riding out here in Hawaii is actually sub par. I was spoiled when I lived in Washington.

I know my wife would use it, that is a big part of the reason I was even considering it. 

5 hours ago, Eric. said:

I've averaged about 6 days a week for the last 7, going on 8 months.  So it's not worthless and I'm not hanging clothes on it yet!

The neat thing about that particular spin bike is that you stream live classes on the computer on the front of it.  So there's an instructor there to keep you motivated and guide you through each ride, plus you can compete against other riders in real time because there's a "leader board" on the computer as well.  All that stuff is critical to me because I'm not great at self-motivating.  If I had to run on a treadmill or around a track twenty times with nothing but my own thoughts to keep me company, I'd quit after the second lap.

I like the leader board feature, it's like having Strava (biking app) without worrying about the risk of crashing at 40+ MPH just cause you are trying to move up into a top 5 spot on the leaderboard :0

3 hours ago, jmaichel said:

I was considering one of these but I enjoy road riding too much. Although these days I don't get to do much of that. The riding out here in Hawaii is actually sub par. I was spoiled when I lived in Washington.

That's surprising.  I would think with the perfect weather and all the mountains you guys would have amazing rides.  I could see Washington state being great though for sure.

I also prefer riding outside...when the weather is right.  But in St. Louis it's either too hot or too cold six or seven months out of the year.  I did a decent ride on Sunday...cool, crisp perfect fall morning.  I never felt better.  But it's gonna be snowing in a month and I'll be out of commission.

Sorry to hear that, bleedinblue.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Friend of mine bought a recumbent stationary bike and rides while playing video games. He said it was interesting he'd get more of a workout with faster paced games because he'd start peddling faster in the excitement.

Does he have the stationary bike wired to the gaming console? I also have one of those recumbent bikes and did some research on that subject, they sell sensors you attach to the bike and then you can use it to control certain type of video games, like a joystick of sorts. I think it would be interesting.