Hijack!

Llama

7 hours ago, Mike. said:

Neither! soft corn tortilla. Anything else is not a taco.  Hard shell is the red oak of tacos and flour tortillas are poplar, or worse. 

I agree. If you are eating an authentic taco. But sometimes you just want some white people tacos. Like.. shredded cheddar, lettuce, hamburger, etc. I think there is room for both. I like to make both. 

• Like 1

I typed this on my phone and should have elaborated more. The 2nd and 3rd are the face grain and edge grain of the same board. It's not maple or birch. It's also really dense. The little piece by my hand scale has density similar to Jatoba or some of those heft exotics.

I think the chestnut is lumber from way back when it was harvested. My friend has been doing woodworking and refinishing for 40 some years (or so he says). Either way it's quite weathered and will need some milling.

Mysterywood_001_adj.jpg

Mysterywood_002_adj.jpg

20 minutes ago, Cochese said:

Bottom could be a dado.

If you do the math like I did and take the height of each corner and calculate their relative sizes based on the perspective of the drawing, you'll see that the bottom layer would have to be very thin with a dangerously thin amount of meat left on the side below the dado for that to be the case. It's a rabbet.

(I'm joking, I did not do that)

So I was watching this documentary about samurai swords this evening. When the saw is sent to the polisher, it goes between different grits of stones for 10 days before it can go to the highest grit stone the polisher uses.  Imagine how sharp your plane blade or chisel would be.  In all it takes 6 months to make. 

• Like 1