Hijack!

Llama

Yup, I know I read the same.  I just don't remember seeing the Makita saw by it's self.  The FS tracks are, if course, expensive, but if I remember right there is a good variety of lengths.  I like the idea of a ~25 inch track for some cross cuts that are more difficult on other tools.  That is a valid option.

45 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Yup, I know I read the same.  I just don't remember seeing the Makita saw by it's self.  The FS tracks are, if course, expensive, but if I remember right there is a good variety of lengths.  I like the idea of a ~25 inch track for some cross cuts that are more difficult on other tools.  That is a valid option.

I have the ts75 and 3 tracks that put me at a little over 12' when they are put together.  It is a great system and I have no regrets.  When I bought the 75 it was the only saw that had the depth of cut I needed.  One of the things I really like is that I can attach a router to a track for dados and more.  But that is also the rub...it committed me to Festool routers, which meant more money.  With the choices today, I would also look at Dewalt, as they have a system for attaching a router.  I don't know if Makita or Grizzly have something similar.

The grizzly is cheap garbage compared to the makita. Quality of cut and ergonomics are widely different. Go look up Marcs review on the grizzly. Here is the makita sold without the track

http://www.cpooutlets.com/makita-sp6000j-6-1-2-in--plunge-circular-saw/mktnsp6000j,default,pd.html?cgid=circular-saws

Edit: Didn't mean to come across so harsh :) I'm sure the grizzly is working well for some people, I just think there is an obvious difference in quality and features on the makita. But if all you need is to cut the occasional plywood straight, it should do the job just fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I bought a 42" track and they have a 32". I was going to buy the 32" but Acme only had the 42" in their store. I'm glad that i didn't get the 32" it would have been too short to be useful. If you open things up to the routers and other things on the track the 32" has a lot more utility but it's nice to have a lot of space on either side with the track saw.

• Like 1

I've watched Marc's review of the Grizzly a few times, I actually thought it to be a favorable review.  The issues he points out, the stiff spring, the dust control, the quality of cut and most importantly the rocking on the track, all have very quick and easy fixes.

Something else for me to consider as far as price though, the Griz is $250'ish, but add in tax and shipping and it's going to be much closer to $300.  The Makita is on Amazon for $399 (with the 55 inch track)  For that little price difference, I don't think I could justify the cheaper saw.  I could always add FT tracks later.

4 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I'm not seeing a lot of reviews saying they ended up with warped tracks.  That would be a concern though.

The Makita is probably the likely choice if I decide the Griz isn't good enough but I don't want to pay for the festool.  The Makita does come in a systainer, too.   The Dewalt plunge action seems wonky, and I haven't seen much info on the Triton.

I do have the Festool sander rebate voucher though, so if I decide on the FT, there's $50 off the top.

I had some slight warpage on my Makita track. It's exactly like JosephThomas says below where I quoted. I'm just going to go to a "local" (sorta local) place and buy some festool tracks at some point.

4 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

I have the makita. The track is straight along the cut, which is the most important thing... But it is slightly bowed along its length when you lay it flat, so I have to use the clamps to keep it that most of the time. Cut quality is great, dust collection is great, price was awesome. The systainer will stack with festool o ones, but the latches on it suck in comparison. Not worth the huge price difference to me for a better systainer, just saying you should lower expectations a little :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Mel,just curious. Why the Slider ts over others?

There are a few reasons I want a slider... Bunch of little things really... Here is an incomplete list, really a rambling.. 

I like the idea of a slider for breaking down material, seems much more efficient than other methods. The slider is set slightly higher than the table you can break down slabs with out concern for kickback or binding, and the slider carries the weight of the workpiece.

Better access for blade changes. Better DC. Adjustable rip fence can be placed before the blade to be used to set up repeatable cross cuts. More power, the Hammer saws have more power than many of the American saws. The Hammer has a 12" blade, more capacity for large slabs. The saw also has a break, when the power is cut off the blade stops. Doesn't keep spinning forever. No need for a cross cut sled. Straight line rip when using the slider. 

Overall, it just makes more sense to me... It is a bit more money than a Sawstop, but not really by much. And the Hammer is a true slider, not an afterthought like all aftermarket options for sliders. Takes up less room. So many people think of it as a panel saw, good only for sheet goods, which couldn't be more wrong. (yes, there is wrong and more wrong)... 

Aside from the little extra money, there are no downsides to a sliding tablesaw. Oh, and everyone has a damn Sawstop or PM. I do like being just a tad bit different. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Yeah, we don't need an electoral college here about you being different:D! And sheets goods was the first thing that came to mind. I thought maybe you were going into the cabinet business. Thanks for the insight.

Something tells me I'd win the popular vote as well ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Llama said:

What's the latest on the taco situation? 

Grabbed dinner with a friend at a brew pub. Had the worst tacos you can imagine.

I'm going for tacos for lunch tomorrow at El Charrito (best tacos in CT!) to wash the memory of these tacos from my life. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JosephThomas said:
Can't read all those...what are the highlights? I see laguna @ 10% off, PM too.

ba916ef959fcb6f62616ecb26cae9dc7.jpg

Laguna jet powermatic forrest @10%

Bosch dewalt makita freud milwalke @15%

The ones you can't read probably aren't woodworking tool companies. Idk if that crop makes it any better.