Hijack!

Llama

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

But but but...money.

Because you could...get a bike and you definitely could, lol. And yes, you can ride a bike in the snow. It's fine.

I live dangerously, but not that dangerously. I rode to work a few times to my office in downtown chicago (about 15 miles, all city traffic).  Cycling is popular in chicago, but definitely not safe.  Not even close.  Chicago drivers just don't GAF about cyclists.  I would say someone dies every week in the summer cycling on the city streets, and parapalegics are born every other day. 

She doesn't ride bikes.  That's why she looks like that.

Yeah @xxdabroxx...you're right, the fat bikes are more befitting of guys with huge trucks and pit bull tattoos...but I was trying to get another jab in at hipsters who build rustic furniture so I ran with it.

And yes @JosephThomas...I'm sure they're great for trekking across muck...I don't find myself riding in muck all that often.  Around these parts you need a mountain bike or a road bike or a gravel-type hybrid like I have...and not much else...unless you need something to match your pit bull tattoo.  Either way they're about as practical as a Jeep.

I live dangerously, but not that dangerously. I rode to work a few times to my office in downtown chicago (about 15 miles, all city traffic).  Cycling is popular in chicago, but definitely not safe.  Not even close.  Chicago drivers just don't GAF about cyclists.  I would say someone dies every week in the summer cycling on the city streets, and parapalegics are born every other day. 

I've no doubt some cities are worse than others... But getting real data might be different than you think. Everyone thinks the national numbers say it's dangerous, but it's far safer than driving a car... I'll add a source later, on the road today.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

Yeah @xxdabroxx...you're right, the fat bikes are more befitting of guys with huge trucks and pit bull tattoos...but I was trying to get another jab in at hipsters who build rustic furniture so I ran with it.

And yes @JosephThomas...I'm sure they're great for trekking across muck...I don't find myself riding in muck all that often.  Around these parts you need a mountain bike or a road bike or a gravel-type hybrid like I have...and not much else...unless you need something to match your pit bull tattoo.  Either way they're about as practical as a Jeep.

Hey hey hey now.  You leave my money pit, I mean Jeep out of this.  HAHA

24 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

I've no doubt some cities are worse than others... But getting real data might be different than you think. Everyone thinks the national numbers say it's dangerous, but it's far safer than driving a car... I'll add a source later, on the road today.

Yup, whoever pulled that data didn't live in -20°. Moving slower will always appear "safer", but until all people who drive for ten years somehow ride only bikes for ten years the data is worthless. I am no saying you are wrong, only that you cannot truly pull the data that would verify this apples to apples. 

27 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Yup, whoever pulled that data didn't live in -20°. Moving slower will always appear "safer", but until all people who drive for ten years somehow ride only bikes for ten years the data is worthless. I am no saying you are wrong, only that you cannot truly pull the data that would verify this apples to apples. 

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

Exactly.  if you can find some data showing that, per mile traveled, cycling in a dense US urban environment is safer than driving, I would love to see it.   YTD there were 6 cyclists killed in Chicago.   There have been 235 traffic fatalities in cook county (which includes chicago and the close suburbs, chicago is about 50% of cook county's total population).   That is hugely disproportionate number of cyclist fatalities, once you consider that maybe 1/10,000 people cycle to work and those that do have relatively short (<15 miles) commutes.  

But I don't need the data.  I have done the 15 mile ride from my old suburb (evanston) to the chicago loop.  It is far more dangerous than driving, it is not even close.  

4 hours ago, Eric. said:

And yes @JosephThomas...I'm sure they're great for trekking across muck...I don't find myself riding in muck all that often.  Around these parts you need a mountain bike or a road bike or a gravel-type hybrid like I have...and not much else...unless you need something to match your pit bull tattoo.  Either way they're about as practical as a

What track saw did you go with?

Exactly.  if you can find some data showing that, per mile traveled, cycling in a dense US urban environment is safer than driving, I would love to see it.   YTD there were 6 cyclists killed in Chicago.   There have been 235 traffic fatalities in cook county (which includes chicago and the close suburbs, chicago is about 50% of cook county's total population).   That is hugely disproportionate number of cyclist fatalities, once you consider that maybe 1/10,000 people cycle to work and those that do have relatively short (

But I don't need the data.  I have done the 15 mile ride from my old suburb (evanston) to the chicago loop.  It is far more dangerous than driving, it is not even close.  

I'll pull up whatever it was I read last year. I don't think it was detailed enough to breakdown urban vs suburbs, it was more just a comparison of injuries and deaths of riders vs drivers per capita. I'm sure it varies a lot based on infrastructure in each town too. Ideally we'd all have decent bike paths everywhere to encourage it, we'd all be a little healthier and a little happier and (I think) a little less dead.

21 hours ago, Mike. said:

The only tongs I use are the two god gave me.   Not really, but I use my hands a lot.  A friend of my wife's was watching me touch raw quicken and was like "oh, gross I can't touch raw chicken.  I would get salmonella for sure".  So I picked up the raw chicken and licked it.  She basically puked in her mouth. No, I did not get salmonella. 

I'm guessing you use tongs for flipping it in a pan or taking it out though. I hope. But yeah you can get away with quite a lot and may never face the consequences, or you could eat raw chicken and instantly get sick. I prefer to be on the safe side, though I do undercook burgers unless I ground it myself. And I have gotten sick from that once. 

9 hours ago, xxdabroxx said:

My dog eats raw chicken almost every day, he thinks it tastes fine.  Although he also likes to smell other dogs buttholes so, there is that. 

Dog's have very different stomachs and digestive systems. Hence the reason they can't eat chocolate, grapes, onions, garlic, etc and we can. We thought of switching ours to a raw diet but it just seemed really expensive. 

21 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I'm guessing you use tongs for flipping it in a pan or taking it out though. I hope. But yeah you can get away with quite a lot and may never face the consequences, or you could eat raw chicken and instantly get sick. I prefer to be on the safe side, though I do undercook burgers unless I ground it myself. And I have gotten sick from that once. 

Dog's have very different stomachs and digestive systems. Hence the reason they can't eat chocolate, grapes, onions, garlic, etc and we can. We thought of switching ours to a raw diet but it just seemed really expensive. 

I've found it wasn't any more expensive than feeding quality dry food. I've found chicken leg quarters for $0.69 a lb locally and duke eats a little over a pound a day, bones and all (raw bones are cool, cooked not so). I also mix in organ meats, fish and beef from time to time too. He really likes his organ meats, he'll dig them out of the bowl first. 

38 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I flip with my fingers, a clean fork, or chop sticks (asian wife), whatever is handy. I do wash my hands incessantly when cooking.  My fingers are calloused so I can pick up really hot food without a problem.