Cabriole Thing

davewyo

12 minutes ago, Chet said:

For some reason I was picturing the hidden drawer in the bottom some were, but I see I was wrong.

Yeah, it's on the top of the back just under the pediment.

I need to finish it up so it works as close to "flawless" as possible before I can permanently attach the pediment. There will be no getting at the mechanism once it's put together.

6 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Think twice about making access to any mechanism impossible.  Hold the pediment in place with screws or magnets. Anything that can go wrong will ! Even 4 tiny dots of hot melt can be popped off in an emergency.  You've put so much into  the "Cabriole thing " It would be a shame if the private possession that was hidden in the secret drawer led to someone trying to pry the drawer open. Clients , wives, girlfriends, daughters etc might make a mistake , it shouldn't be permanent.

That's good sound advise, Steve.

I will think twice; see if there's something I can do.

10 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I can't believe this thing is coming to a close.  The end of an era.

I'm gonna have to remember this piece whenever I feel like one of my projects is dragging on too long.  Tap into The Serenity of Dave.  An impressive display of patience, diligence and contemplation.  You're like a woodworking monk. LOL

I have a ways to go.

Prolly won't be done this calendar year.

I still need to attach the base, and do the roof, the finial, and the drawers...and then there's the 100 other details. Like sanding a whole lot more.

I'm trying to get the Thing together and make a good try at the drawers before the "season" ends and I start devoting myself to finishing a writing project that's been hanging too long.

And, of course, I need to do some traveling; maybe some boating, canyoneering, and backpacking.

It's not so much serenity as it is "I jcan't get it done in a timely manner cuz there's too much other stuff I want to do".

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I saw finish make an appearance so I just assumed you were in the final stages. 

Yeah, I'm just finishing the blades, dividers, and interior of the case. I wouldn't normally finish the interior of a case piece, but the inset of the drawers reveals a bit of the case sides, and when using the Thing a person would be pulling out the drawers all the time. The inside of the cubby holes will be difficult to spray after the Thing is assembled.

It does feel like I'm coming into the home stretch though. I'm starting to have to complete sub-assemblies and minor glue-ups so that I can go on the the next steps of construction.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

What did you cut the card scraper with?

Thanks, Steve!

I used a 14" (metal) chop saw with an abrasive disc. It takes but a few seconds. After which I took it to the grinder to get the shape. Then the full honing routine with sharpening stones and burnisher that you would give a card scraper. It's best to use a diamond stone on the edges so you don't wear a groove in your water stones. It's easier to get a burr on a curved card scraper than I imagined. These little buggers pull off a nice little curl of a shaving.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TIODS said:

Nice job!  Way to work through to the solution!

8 hours ago, Chet said:

Thats some really cool work.  Way to work outside the normal thinking.

8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

That looks a lot better then "fairly good" Dave, it Looks great!

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I would have expected more time involved in making the scrapers. They sure did the trick, though. That looks great!

Thanks everyone!