Cabriole Thing

davewyo

Thanks, Shane! Have you been somewhere?

Also...Do you recognize that contrasting wood I'm thinking of using for the fretwork there? I'll give you a hint. It rhymes with; "Brew-Bringer" or perhaps even; "Dead-Ringer". Think about the red dust all over your shop. I believe it may possibly come to you...

Ya the bubinga looks awesome ! Please tell me you don't plan on carving it? What kind of idiot would take on a project to carve bubinga !!!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Are you from Boston, Dave?  Because it rhymes with neither of those when it comes out of my mouth.

Yep. Born about 35 miles from Boston.:)

Plus, I meant they roughly rhyme. You know, for limerick purposes, not for high-brow poetry and such.;)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Ya know, my rhymes were kind of crappy but it's not all that easy to rhyme with Bubinga.

Here's what I came up with.

Up North where the snows often linger.

There's a man who is Krenov's dead-ringer.

When the lumber man said.

That bad times were ahead.

He carved both his chairs from Bubinga.

I like it Dave!  

• Like 1

Ya know, my rhymes were kind of crappy but it's not all that easy to rhyme with Bubinga.

Here's what I came up with.

Up North where the snows often linger.

There's a man who is Krenov's dead-ringer.

When the lumber man said.

That bad times were ahead.

He carved both his chairs from Bubinga.

Oh man this is pure genius! Not only are you an awesome woodworker, you are a poet as well? Why you been holding out on us? You should present the photos in your journal by peom from now on. That'd be dope.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It needs to turn the corner in some way so that it exists in that third dimension better. My thought anyway. It also looks like it could be made to look lighter by sculpting the back side some. That is super picky thinking. I don't want to pretend I could do it better. 

• Like 2

Dave, the edges of the pediment that run from front to back appear to be added on, correct? I see edge grain, rather than end grain. How about replacing those straight, hard edges with a bit of linen-fold carving? The front & back corners could show the "cloth" folded back on itself, while the lines of the edge could undulate like wrinkles in the cloth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradpotts said:

I think it looks really good. I wonder if you rounded the pediment what it would look like.

Thanks Brad! That is something I will certainly try before I do the whole thing over.

1 hour ago, C Shaffer said:

It needs to turn the corner in some way so that it exists in that third dimension better. My thought anyway. It also looks like it could be made to look lighter by sculpting the back side some. That is super picky thinking. I don't want to pretend I could do it better. 

Yes! I completely agree. I was thinking of a couple of possibilities to improve the "return" on the sides and one of them was to make the moulding on the upper edge a couple inches higher to allow a side piece which has some fretwork in it.

1 hour ago, TIODS said:

Looks good in the pics!  I suppose you could cut it off and turn a similar shape and attach?

Amazing project!

That's a good idea too, Kev. I made the existing pediment so that would be viable, and if rounding the finial some more looks like I should make a full round version, I will do that too before I go into a complete do-over.

I think the pediment looks a bit large/tall overall for the small delicate cabinet. I do like Steve's suggestion and what Carus mentioned about it being returned and/or deeper. 

Fine workmanship though Dave. At this point I don't think I would personally consider a do-over before trying some of the above advise. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks great Dave!

FWIW I built a piece that had a curved cover like that IIRC i used contact cement and glued canvas from a fabric shop to the back side It has never cracked. Having said that I'm pretty sure it was 1/8" plywood and the radius was not as tight as what you've got going there. It was a Norm Abrams design.

596f2678878a5_A-2640x480.JPG.2842dfd5d89a462dc1870d77eeeeeb03.JPG

• Like 2