Cabriole Thing

davewyo

24 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

I've wondered whether that use of a drill press would damage it, leading to wobble in the drill head.  Are you concerned?

Not overly concerned. It's probably not good to put side-wards pressure like I am but It's a cheap bench-top model and there was a bit of run-out in the shaft to begin with. If I mess it up I'll be ordering some parts. Eventually I'll get a floor standing drill press but it's pretty low on my wish list.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Chet K said:

Nice work as usual Dave.  But whats this about a new table saw?  Did I miss something?

Yeah, I got a Griz G0690 and retired the DeWalt jobsite saw to construction/renovation projects. It's amazing how many accessories I need to re-make; like out-feed, crosscut sled, ZCIs, sacrificial fences, etc.

I really don't feel all that comfortable with the saw yet. I'm short and although the height of the saw is similar to the DeWalt the "deck" of the new saw is MUCH larger. I have to reach further across the bed to follow through on my cuts and it feels a little sketchy to feed the stock and stay out of the "kick-back danger zone" at the same time. An outfeed table has helped a lot.

4 minutes ago, trialbyfire said:

Drawings and trimmings look awesome per usual. Aside from the height issue, how do you like the new saw so far?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oh it's great! I just need to adjust to the new feel. It's much more stable and capable than the other saw. It cuts 8/4 like butter. I'm thrilled to have it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

If I had a bunch of door parts with center mortices I would have just used loose tenons.

Yeah, I thought of using loose tenons, and I thought of re-doing half the pieces. But, after my little woopsie, I was determined I could get it right. It's not like I was having tooling problems. That particular time the problem was my brain not paying proper attention.:wacko: So I opted for a complete do over to get the process down. After all, this whole project is supposed to be a learning experience.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Chet K said:

Just curious, have you any idea how much time you have into this project.

Gosh, Chet, I really don't have a clue. I went back to the beginning of this journal and roughly added things up, and I would say I have around 200 hours, give or take. It's probably a lot more if you count up the time I've spent thinking about things, researching on the internets, and planning the design.

The carving parts of the project take a long time, and then there's the sanding.

The joinery and machine time for the case parts and such only takes a couple of hours each time I work on it. It's quite small and doesn't have much lumber in it, so it doesn't take all that much time to cut a half dozen dovetails or whatnot.

I'm not very efficient with my shop time. I don't really get much done on a day to day basis. If I'm working on a procedure that I have a clear idea of what I'm doing I might spend 4 to 6 hours of productive work, but most of the time I spend an hour or three and much of that is goofing off.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

You planning on installing glass on them?

Yeah, I have some mirror glass I'm going to try out. I don't think I want to see the inside of the case through the doors. It'll be my first time cutting glass, but it looks pretty easy on youtube. If that doesn't seem right I'll put in some opaque glass.

• Like 1

That's a great tip! I had noticed that there is a glass cutting oil. My glass cutter even has a reservoir so that it self dispenses, but I didn't really want to go to the trouble. I'll give your trick a try. Not much effort and I can see how the spirits will leave just the right amount of oily residue for the small cuts I'm making.

1 hour ago, davewyo said:

It'll be my first time cutting glass, but it looks pretty easy on youtube

i cut my own glass all the time Dave, mineral spirits is great advice from @wdwerker, i store my cutter with the cutting wheel submerged in oil in a small jar to keep the air from eroding the cutting wheel, awesome work Dave, a real pleasure to ride along.

• Like 1