Cabriole Thing

davewyo

I did a lot of sanding and then the glue up of the case.

Squared up the front so the doors sit right.

http://IMG_0943_zpscegeio1m.jpg

The flipped it over and threw in a diagonal clamp to square up the back a little.

http://IMG_0944_zpsku2rnji1.jpg

Over the next hour I checked it again, and again, and again to see if it was square even though it checked out every time. The front is square and the back is nearly so. I also slipped in a couple of the drawer blades without any glue, just to make sure things are as they should be.

• 1 month later...

Hi Coop,

Not much going on here. I have been mulling over how to deal with wood movement and the attachment of the upper pediment and I think I've got that worked out. I also tried out several versions of gold leaf techniques and decided to not go with gold leaf. It just looks like crap and is one step too far when we're talking about embellishments on the doors.

I've been working more than usual lately, which is not really an excuse. I've had plenty of time if I was genuinely motivated to move it along. I've gotta say, those doors took it out of me, and they didn't come out all that great, hardware-wise. It just kind of stalls the inner-psych-out when key elements go awry.

Plus I recently got a stick welding set-up, which is fun.

All that said, I'm planning on getting back to it as soon as I get off an up-coming San Juan River week-long float trip. You should see some kind of updated progress after mid-April.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Holy smokes, not sure how I missed this thread the first time through. Amazing work. How much carving experience did you have before tackling this? I have a new-found respect for those who did this by hand in the past, especially without the convenient ability to transfer/copy an exact design over easily.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, davewyo said:

This is my first carving project and, believe me, it shows. There are dozens upon dozens of mistakes in there.

Oh I am sure there are mistakes, but that is still an ambitious undertaking and it seems to be taking shape. At least this gives me courage to try something like this in the future.

Also, looks like you had the same tablesaw I am running - Dewalt 745, yes?

50 minutes ago, davewyo said:

This is my first carving project and, believe me, it shows. There are dozens upon dozens of mistakes in there.

This projects skill level is not to be underrated and the mistakes be them as they may, add authenticity ! Top looks awesome, Dave. 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2017 at 7:03 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Dave, two questions:

1. In many of the photos, the case appears to be trapezoidal. Is that true, or just a distortion of perspective from camera angle?

2. Is your shop full-court, or half-court?

1. It is the foreshortening of perspective.

2. I'm gonna say half-court since the shop is 50 to 60' long (and an NBA court is 94').

• Like 1