Cabriole Thing

davewyo

13 minutes ago, TIODS said:

That is just looking awesome Dave!  Stunning work!

Thanks, Kev! I'm really pleased with how the coopering turned out. I have a couple of tiny glue lines which will show up when the finish goes on, but far fewer than I predicted. It was pretty easy to use a block plane to get the angles for most of the pieces I was coopering together, but the final one had to be angled and tapered to fit in the space. It only took like seven tries for the four pieces, so that was amazing.

• Like 2

It just keeps getting better ! 

If it was mine I would try to recreate the glue line issue on some scraps and then practice the finish techniques that might minimize its appearance. I've got a little touch up spray gun that's pretty close to an airbrush. I've lightly fogged some stain over flaws before and made them less noticeable. I've turned little filled nail hoes that turned too dark after the first coat into a tiny knot. Possibly your glue joint could be turned into a natural looking dark streak. 

• Like 2

It just keeps getting better ! 

If it was mine I would try to recreate the glue line issue on some scraps and then practice the finish techniques that might minimize its appearance. I've got a little touch up spray gun that's pretty close to an airbrush. I've lightly fogged some stain over flaws before and made them less noticeable. I've turned little filled nail hoes that turned too dark after the first coat into a tiny knot. Possibly your glue joint could be turned into a natural looking dark streak. 

Dang. You're smooth.

14 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

You could attach a secret tray inside the base with 4 magnets. Not sure how you could release it but I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Yeah, the base is an obvious spot for a compartment, so I'm not putting one in.

Truth be told, more secret compartments means more time, and I'm starting to smell the barn, so to speak.

I'm thinking I want to finish this "skills building exercise" sometime soon-ish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Chet said:

Great idea to get a nice consistent look to the fronts.  All that grain is going to look good with the finish on it.

Thanks Chet!

I cut the top drawer in two, cut some drawer backs, and next up I'm on to the rest of the dove-tailing.

I've decided I'm not really fond of the process involved in cutting dovetails. Very repetitive. I might go so far as to say that it's tedious drudgery. If they didn't look good and get that "Oh dovetails!" response from people who know a little bit about furniture joints, I don't think I would bother. Too much lay-out and marking for my taste.

http://Tin9ziH.jpg