davewyo

On 9/30/2017 at 8:23 PM, RichardA said:

Looking top shelf, Dave.

On 9/30/2017 at 8:33 PM, pkinneb said:

Looks great!

On 9/30/2017 at 9:27 PM, shaneymack said:

Looking awesome, Dave !

On 9/30/2017 at 10:43 PM, JosephThomas said:

The change in detail shows up big time. Looks excellent!

18 hours ago, Janello said:

Looks awesome Dave! 

3 hours ago, Keggers said:

Absolutely beautiful work! I'm amazed at your talent!

Thanks everyone!

4 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I keep seeing the " skills building exercise " quote at the beginning of this journal . Somewhere over the last year or so it has morphed into a showcase for some incredible talent !

Thanks, Steve! Coming from you, that's high praise indeed.

Each little step along the way has challenged me. There are numerous flaws in the carving which will become apparent with the finish going on, but I am striving to get the construction right so that expansion/contraction issues have been taken into account. Although the parts of the Thing are thin and small, and the wood movement is likely to be limited,  I've done most of the things that would be done on a full sized china closet or high boy. If it moves, I'm hoping the doors and drawers don't bind up, or the miters blow out.

3 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

At the scale you are working with I have seen some glaring errors that were many decades old and never caused problems. But at full scale they would be quite destructive. It's wise to follow safe practices but I see no need to be obsessive about the little issues.

Yup. I'm with you on that.

I've got wood grain going in every which direction. I mostly concentrated on the movement which will occur with the sides. Each drawer blade is only glued up front in its dado and the mouldings at the pediment and the base will be glued up front and screwed at the back. So all the wood movement from the sides will be directed toward the back of the piece.

20 minutes ago, Chet said:

I just don't get tired of looking at this build.

That's a good thing, Chet! It just keeps on going...and going.;)

11 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

I think I see the "finish" line in sight Dave, awesome work, keep the pictures coming.

Me too, Dave!

I have a very short list of "things to do" as far as the construction goes. I had to go back to Eric.'s post to see what it was I said I still have to do a month or two ago to make sure I wasn't missing something.

As it stands, I have two things to do on the list. The finial, and the back boards.

Then I can go onto spraying some shellac. Woo Hoo!:D

• 2 months later...