Cabriole Thing

davewyo

12 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I’m thinking no here! Kinda looks like the results of a late night frolic between a bowling pin and an umbrella;)!

I guess I should say that the work-piece is upside down, and that I still have to carve the "flame" into the "bowling pin", but yeah, this one could easily be a reject.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Do you think you will get it completed this year ? Any thoughts about what kind of finish you are going to use ?

Thanks, Steve! I certainly hope to get it done this year. I plan on spraying it with shellac. I already sprayed the doors and pre-finished the interior of the case, drawer blades etc. The shellac should be plenty of protection but if it doesn't appeal to me it will make a nice base coat.

12 minutes ago, Chet said:

That looks cool Dave.  To the untrained eye (me) it seems like the biggest challenge would be getting the top finished off after you cut off the waste.

Thanks, Chet! The "carving" of the finial is pretty easy. There are a few different variations on the shape of the flutes. I think of the variation I chose as the corkscrew style, and it is probably one of the easier to pull off. My difficulty has mostly been with not having a lathe in the first place and work holding and such.

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Wow Dave, finish line in sight! This has been a great ride and everything looks stunning, thanks for the ride. 

Thanks!

I went back to the beginning of this journal and it looks like I've been at it for over two years now. The "exciting conclusion" is highly anticipated in my household!

• Haha 2

You should make a DVD of the whole build process to keep in the secret drawer. It would amaze the " Antiques Roadshow " type folks a couple hundred years from now. Hopefully a multi great granddaughter will have it then and only want a value for insurance.

The finishing is looking good !

• Like 2