Cabriole Thing

davewyo

18 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

That looks incredible, Dave! I'm blown away each time you post a photo that allows me to remember the scale of the 'Thing'. The detail is sooooooo intricate!

Thanks, Ross!

I can assure you that every step along the way has been complicated by the size of the silly Thing. Today I took tiny little brass drawer pulls to the belt sander and made them tinier.

7 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

It dawned on me that your Cabriole Thing will be worth the same as a full sized handmade one. 

I know what you mean, Steve! I keep telling myself that it's more of a miniature than a salesman's sample. I think it helps me to sleep well at night knowing that I'll never make this Thing full size. :D

If I made it full size the difficulties that I'm finding making a miniature would be equally challenging, but in a different way.:unsure: It would still be a trick to figure out work holding strategies but it would be so opposite I can't even get my head around it.

9 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

If I could say unf#*king beautiful on here, I would! Never cease to amaze! 

I think you have admirably demonstrated that you can say that here!

Thanks, Coop!

7 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Got boxes unpacked so, it's a bigger disaster now that it was yesterday!  Gotta get worse before it gets better.  Thanks for asking Dave!

That sounds something like fun, Kev!:D I love it when you get to decide where everything gets to go for the first time. I hope the dogs are adjusting and all that...

17 minutes ago, Chet said:

Keeps looking more better and more better with every post.

Thanks, Chet!  And thanks for following along. It has been wonderful all the support I've had along the way.

My drawer pulls were 3/8" in diameter and 7/16" tall. To reduce them I drilled a 3/8" hole in some scrap and drilled a little deeper with a 23/64" bit, that way the pull would fit into the hole and, with a couple taps of the mallet, wedge firmly at the bottom.

http://FeW1XKc.jpg

Then I pressed the jig onto a belt sander.

http://U7pa5o5.jpg

The augmented drawer pulls came out at slightly under 5/16" tall.

http://aRbbiLm.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

What are you using to get the sanding done in all the nooks and crannies?

Usually sandpaper folded or wrapped around an appropriately shaped stick, dowel, skewer, or what have you.

Regular sand paper cracks and the media flakes off when folded into a crease so it is very short lived before I'm folding a new crease. 3M has some ultra flexible sanding sheets which are sanding media on a thin vinyl sheet. It feels almost like rubber. They work better but they puncture easily when you use a pointed sanding stick.

Fortunately carving shouldn't be sanded too much or you loose the crispness and fine details.

• Like 1