Cabriole Thing

davewyo

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

It looks to me like the end is in sight, have you put any thoughts into finish?

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...That's funny, Drew!:D

This Thing isn't even close to done. Beyond connecting the case to the base and putting a back on, I have; doors, drawers, mouldings, the pediment, and the finial. All of which are going to be tough to pull off.

But, in answer to your question...Yes, I have been thinking about a finish. I think I may put some gold-leaf on the doors which will (maybe) be inset with glass (if I think that will look good when the drawers are in there). Otherwise, with the walnut I'm going with a clear finish of some sort. I'm also considering putting on a sealer and then using a dark walnut gel stain. I will try samples of course, but what I'm thinking is I'll seal it, slather on some gel stain and then wipe it all off to leave only a trace behind in the crevices of the carving. I'm not thinking I want a faux old-looking finish, it will be smooth and new, but I'm going for the look of that dark dirty schmutz that builds up on antique furniture.

50 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Looking absolutely gorgeous, Dave!

Is this going to be a present for the Queen in exchange for a Knighthood? :D

No way, D! With my Queen I'm already a Knight of the Realm.;) My wife doesn't really have much for Crown Jewels, so this Frankenstein's jewelry box is a classic case of woodworker's overkill.

Really this is just a practice piece. When it's all over I'm thinking I will try to make a full-sized actual piece of (reproduction) period furniture.

Just now, davewyo said:

This Thing isn't even close to done. Beyond connecting the case to the base and putting a back on, I have; doors, drawers, mouldings, the pediment, and the finial. All of which are going to be tough to pull off.

I guess i should clarify. I don't mean close but it appears you know what it takes to get to the end. Your working on this quickly when you get to work on it and it's moving by leaps and bounds. I want to see this complete but i like following along, it's conflicting.

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I guess i should clarify. I don't mean close but it appears you know what it takes to get to the end. Your working on this quickly when you get to work on it and it's moving by leaps and bounds. I want to see this complete but i like following along, it's conflicting.

I know what you mean. I'm wondering what it'll look like when it's done, but I'm having a blast with each of the little steps. I do have much more of an idea of where I'm going than I did at the beginning, so that makes it easier, but I'm still winging it.

And, yeah, it definitely feels like the Thing is moving along. For a long time it was just a few bits and pieces with no real direction, and now it's a pretty good sized pile of bits and pieces. It's funny, with all the work in this Thing, I have still only used glue to attach the knee blocks to the legs.

On 7/7/2016 at 8:26 PM, wdwerker said:

I am having fun watching this journals progress !

It reminded me of a chair I discovered in one of the Smithsonian art furniture galleries.

image.jpeg

Werker, I say this with the greatest respect (even knowing you only from posts and image):  I would expect no less than this furniture to catch your fancy!!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2016 at 5:18 PM, davewyo said:

And then there were four:

http://IMG_1811_zpskzqrrxv0.jpg

There is still some serious fine tuning and clean-up to do but I moved on to the aprons. I made some templates and traced my pattern onto the parts.

http://IMG_1812_zpswsdycea4.jpg

I see that you've upgraded your beer choice to something more appropriate to the West!!

Dave, I have to say that I'm pretty awestruck.  

It's also impressive that you let us in at the beginning.  For a project like this, that openness shows courage and confidence.  If you tell us what museum this ends up in, I might come over from McCall to see it!

13 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

I see that you've upgraded your beer choice to something more appropriate to the West!!

A lot of people like the IPAs and the Porters and such. I mostly drink the Sammies. I like something light and fairly inexpensive so I can drink several. Sometimes the distributors around here run out of Sam Adams for weeks on end, so I go for the Anchor Steam, Bass Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Deschutes Pale, or O'Dells Pale Ale. The Anchor Steam is $10 a six pack; a bit of a splurge.

On 7/22/2016 at 7:18 AM, wdwerker said:

They have been made on duplicating carving machines for a long time. Purely mechanical,operator traces a master template with a stylus and 6 blanks on either side are cut. The results desperately need cleaning up with sharp tools but the shape is there.

I saw an example of such a machine, about a month ago at this museum:    https://www.americanprecision.org

The machine I saw only duplicated in two dimensions, though.