Cabriole Thing

davewyo

34 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

It died ? Or you killed it ?

It still runs like a champ.

Not a thing wrong with it, and I've gotten some cool projects out of it. It just got demoted to second fiddle, not because it didn't perform as well as it could, but because I have been coveting a weighty cabinet saw.

34 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Just recently got a new one myself, a good move on both of us.... Now get back to the journal!

I don't have the rails for the fence yet (the boxes seem to have gotten separated during shipping) and I'm supposed to call the electrician tomorrow if he doesn't call me by noon.  There's nothing I can do without rails and power, so I I imagine I'll be back to carving in the morning. But, I tell you, it's difficult to concentrate on laurel leaves with that chunk of cast iron beauty staring me in the face.:)

2 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Not a thing wrong with it, and I've gotten some cool projects out of it. It just got demoted to second fiddle, not because it didn't perform as well as it could, but because I have been coveting a weighty cabinet saw.

I don't have the rails for the fence yet (the boxes seem to have gotten separated during shipping) and I'm supposed to call the electrician tomorrow if he doesn't call me by noon.  There's nothing I can do without rails and power, so I I imagine I'll be back to carving in the morning. But, I tell you, it's difficult to concentrate on laurel leaves with that chunk of cast iron beauty staring me in the face.:)

Reminds me of a table dance, look, but that's all you can do:P

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Stepping from a portable to a cabinet saw should be a game changer for you ! The old one can still serve on exterior or jobsite work.

You know it! I thought of keeping it set up with a dado set, but nah, it'll go into storage with my nail guns, saws-all, and the like...

5 hours ago, davewyo said:

I know that feeling,  I got the 1023 and I haven't used it more than 3 times, because I'm putting together a set of twin beds and all the cutting was done by my old Craftsman.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davewyo said:

VSCT

Yep.

Obviously try yours out before buying anything else...maybe it will be flat and straight.  Mine wasn't.  It's a common problem with Biese clones, not just the Grizzly.  The way they bolt the UHMW to the tube steel is...uh...no good.

But other than that, I've absolutely loved the saw.  It's the only Griz I own that I have no complaints about.

• Like 1

Congrats on the table saw. I had the same dewalt portable saw and when i upgraded to my cabinet saw it made a world of difference. Hope you get the saw up and running quickly. Carvings are looking good I'm excited to see these columns done.

I never thought about using the old jobs site for dados i thought the arbor shaft was too short on them to do much of anything?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I never thought about using the old jobs site for dados i thought the arbor shaft was too short on them to do much of anything?

I think the older models said not to use a dado stack, but this one(7490X) says you can use an 8" dado stack up to 13/16ths in width. I had to get an aftermarket insert plate because they never made a stock dado insert to fit this model as far as I know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davewyo said:

I finished up on the columns

http://IMG_1972_zpsst3usqb8.jpg

and put the Thing back together

http://IMG_1978_zps0okgaxin.jpg

so I could see what my drawing for the sides of the case

http://IMG_1976_zpslmicisfi.jpg

may look.

http://IMG_1980_zpsdfs1ghjq.jpg

Not quiet what I would have thought, but, like Rick said 

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

You've had me with the ball and claw feet! You ain't disappointed yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chet K said:

Time for two brews, you did both sides.

You have a point there, Chet. I do believe I'll take your advise.:)

I learned while doing the first panel that I should leave islands of uncut area to support the router base in the large space at the bottom of the field. If I start at the image and work down, when I get to the corner there is nothing but the border and the uneven edge of the image to support the router base. So I start in the lower corners and leave some material an inch away from the corner. Then cut around the pattern and finish up by routing out the island of material I left behind.

• Like 1