Cabriole Thing

davewyo

29 minutes ago, davewyo said:

No way, Ross! I did those dadoes with the table saw and stop blocks. They're stopped dadoes but it doesn't really show in the photo. I will square off the ends and clean up any unevenness in the bottoms of the dadoes with chisels(my router plane is too wide to fit in a 1/4" dado).

All along I've had the philosophy that if it can be done with a machine then that's how I'll do it. I'm predominantly a power tool user who augments some operations and fine-tunes things with hand tools. Without doubt, carving is hand tool work but if I can hog out some material with a router, grinder, dado stack, or whatever, then I'm all for it.

Awesome skill builder for sure!  This is definitely one of my favorite builds on this site!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Awesome skill builder for sure!  This is definitely one of my favorite builds on this site!

I genuinely appreciate yours and everyone's interest Kev. It's very encouraging to have y'alls support. I really enjoy h3nry's carving projects in much the same way. It's cool to see the development of the project. I hope he gets re-situated and back to his journal soon...

Stay tuned, I'm about to get back to some hand carving which, to me, is the interesting part of the build...

Like any project, I need to get the joinery done while things are still square. That "forced" me to finalize my ideas for the interior of the case to a large extent.

2 hours ago, TIODS said:

I think I'm looking forward to seeing the door on this! ;)

I have some small offset knife hinges ordered from Brusso to use for the inset doors. I think they will give the clearance for the drawers to be pulled out. The doors will need to open 180 degrees and not hit the columns while completely clearing the way for the bottom drawer to open.

We'll see...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Dave, the drawer fronts will be the same profile as the drawer dividers? What will they be made of?

Ah! Very good question, Coop. The drawer fronts will be the same profile but inset within the dividers by a 1/4'" or so. I may make them from an exotic. I have some Goncalo Alves which could look good, but I haven't decided if I can get the three levels of drawers out of the piece I have. Fall-back plan is to use walnut.

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

Wow nice stuff... You are moving fast right now

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It took a while to figure out what I was going to do, but once I got a few decisions made the dadoes and dividers moved along nicely. It's a little bit frightening cuz when I get moving it's always touch-n-go the whole time whether I will screw the whole thing up or not. When I get back to carving I wouldn't doubt that things will slow down considerably.

Plus I'm headed to Taos, Death Valley, the Sonoran Desert in AZ or CA, the Huntington Museum(near LA), or someplace that is warm in the next month, so that could slow the progress....

Not too much to show for today. I cut the notches in the shelves which brought them forward 1/4". The first two went well but the third was gappy. Since I hadn't cut down the shelves to size from front to back I was able to back off from the sloppy edge and re-trace the profile. Then I re-cut and gave it another try. That wasn't so good either so I did it a third time.
 Overall they came out okay. Not 100%, but okay...

I thought I would have several go-'rounds to make sure all the shelf dividers came forward 1/4" and were all in the same plane, but I lucked out and they all lined up first try. Amazing.

http://IMG_1925_zpszqugilri.jpg

Then I cut a bit off the backs of the shelves so that when pushed into place they would fit flush inside my rabbets for the back panel.

http://IMG_1926_zpsgtsb58sd.jpg

• Like 2