Cabriole Thing

davewyo

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looking really sweet, Dave! These must be even smaller than I imagined. Can you include some known object in the next pic for scale?

7 hours ago, Immortan D said:

7 1/4", based on previous pics ;)

That's close D. They are 6 1/2" overall, with the leg from knee to ball/claw being 4 1/2".

Ross, I'll put something in for scale on the next update.

• Like 1

It's looking great, Dave.  I really hope you spend as much time building the structure that belongs above these legs as you've spent on the legs.  I know you're all about the journey, but the time you've put into these things...they've earned the right to be used in a piece of furniture.

I'm gonna claim fame...

When Mary May first came to USA, she found a home (and schooling?) in the midwest, I believe somewhere near Sedalia, MO.  The guy that gave her a place to live was, in return, one of her first "students," and he is now a regular customer at my lumberyard.  He does some amazing carvings...which of course pale in comparison to Mary's, a true master.  Every time he comes in he blathers on for (what feels like) hours about Mary May and her carvings.  She truly is impressive though.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eric. said:

It's looking great, Dave.  I really hope you spend as much time building the structure that belongs above these legs as you've spent on the legs.  I know you're all about the journey, but the time you've put into these things...they've earned the right to be used in a piece of furniture.

Uh yeah...no question. If I don't royally screw something up I'll be trying to make a case worthy of the base.

Mary May rules. In addition to her mastery she is an excellent instructor, which isn't as easy as carving perhaps.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TIODS said:

The knee blocks look awesome!

Thanks Kev! I really tried to get the grain match to work. I have plenty of the same stock so color match wasn't a big deal. I was concentrating on the grain. It turns out that if the grain is close it doesn't matter too much when you're carving the knee and block. Once the carving goes on the grain match kind of disappears and the color is more important. Of course, we'll see what happens once some finish goes on. With the finish I expect that the grain match will reassert its importance.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Most of you can't attain this kind of exactitude in your drawings. This one is nearly CNC-ready.

Hey that sketch is pretty good. I can draw well with a strait edge. Once i leave the ruler behind my drawing goes down hill FAST.

Those legs look awesome. What ever you end up doing with them is going to be really cool. I know you mentioned that you like the process but you have to at least finish your first attempt so you have a reference to come back to. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the adventure.

• Like 1

Very cool.  

I always say I don't like period-type furniture, but I think it is just a cover-up for the fact that I will never be able to do a carving like that.  It takes a type of talent that most people will never have.  

Just now, Immortan D said:

99.99% of the people can do it. That means everyone except me. I don't have the artistic gut, even though I could master the techniques, I won't be able to produce the designs. I cannot even draw them on a piece of paper.

I'm with you on that! I find that choosing a pattern, drawing it out, and feeling like I made good choices is the toughest part. Right now I'm trying to figure out a pattern that would go at the tops of the legs, and it's difficult as all hell. Of course...I'm totally enjoying it too.

The solution is to use and adapt other peoples patterns, which is by no means simple, but it gives you a starting point.

• Like 1