Cabriole Thing

davewyo

26 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Dave, I've been watching this from the start and you mentioned that these may be for a jewelry box or something but I haven't seen deminisions of the legs. What did the piece start as. Fantastic job btw.

Thanks Coop!

It's about the same height as the prototype but stouter. The ball is slightly smaller than a ping pong ball and the overall height measures up about the same on a Sam Adams (6 3/8" tall).

http://IMG_1693_zpspzvthgxe.jpg

• Like 1

I've checked several sites to see what this claw belongs to. Most say that it has Chinese origin and belonged to a dragon. Others say this is true but transformed into a bird or eagle. I'm intrigued! Looking good Dave! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I've checked several sites to see what this claw belongs to. Most say that it has Chinese origin and belonged to a dragon. Others say this is true but transformed into a bird or eagle. I'm intrigued! Looking good Dave! 

I've read the same. Dragon clutching the Pearl of Wisdom adapted into the western tradition.

Each region in Colonial American had it's own details. In the Philadelphia style that I'm emulating the distinguishing feature is the sharp knuckles. The New England style had more undercutting of the ball and long slender claws which might have undercutting that goes right through. I forget what the third basic regional style was, but it has slight variations which make it recognizable for the area the carver came from.

So I took the other three legs to the same level of finish and that completed the roughing in stage of the process.

I then looked over the four to see that they are the "same" and carved away any discrepancies to kind of even them up.

I'm not completely done tweaking the details yet, but I moved on to preliminary sanding in order to see what is there.

http://IMG_1710_zpsedlf3jrr.jpg

After that I will probably  do some more carving to even up the heights of the balls and trim the fingers to get as much uniformity as is possible. They don't need to be exact, they just need to be close so that the eye will be fooled.

The thumbs don't look right to me yet. They need to be more slender to match the fingers; that's pretty clear. But I'm also planning on re-sculpting them so that they flow into a tendon sorta like and Achilles tendon on your own ankle.

• Like 1

I think the reveal of the balls is more important to the eye than the knuckles. Me, I would have been there long ago and been happy. If you feel you need to be close to perfect, I would clean up the web/skin on the one, second from the left. Heck of a job!

• Like 1

Looks great, Dave! Much better than any carving I've ever done. The only suggestion I can offer toward "improvement" would be to undecut the edges of the foot a bit more, to create more of a shadowline to distinguish the ball as seperate from the claw. Already you have done a terrific job on a very challenging task.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I love the variations, that proves they are hand made !

That made me think Steve! I'm pretty sure every ball and claw foot made of wood is hand made. There's no other way to do it. That was until the advent of the CNC. Now I suppose someone could write a program to machine carve a ball and claw foot.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I think the reveal of the balls is more important to the eye than the knuckles. Me, I would have been there long ago and been happy. If you feel you need to be close to perfect, I would clean up the web/skin on the one, second from the left. Heck of a job!

I see what you mean Coop! No question, that web is too low on the left side where it goes into the side of that finger. It's funny how a photo can help to see these things. Sometimes you just don't see these things. Other times you know something is wonky but you can't tell exactly what it is or what you should do to correct it.

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks great, Dave! Much better than any carving I've ever done. The only suggestion I can offer toward "improvement" would be to undecut the edges of the foot a bit more, to create more of a shadowline to distinguish the ball as seperate from the claw. Already you have done a terrific job on a very challenging task.

Thanks Ross. I'm not quite getting what you mean. Are you suggesting that I undercut the fingers and lower the ball to make the web look thicker, or are you saying raise the web higher on the ball?

53 minutes ago, bradpotts said:

I think they look awesome!

Thanks Brad, and everyone else!

I appreciate the comments and feedback. :)

• Like 1

They have been made on duplicating carving machines for a long time. Purely mechanical,operator traces a master template with a stylus and 6 blanks on either side are cut. The results desperately need cleaning up with sharp tools but the shape is there.