Cabriole Thing

davewyo

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

This is becoming more awesome by the minute, Dave!

You and H3nry are just about to the point of "Dueling Carvers". Two projects with hand carved sweetness is great!

I'm pretty sure that Dave is winning this duel ... this Cabriole Thing keeps getting better and better.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, h3nry said:

I'm pretty sure that Dave is winning this duel ... this Cabriole Thing keeps getting better and better.

Nah. I'd say your project takes the prize. Your build seems to have a plan and a purpose. Me? I'm just muddling through, figuring it out as I go. And I'm not even sure what I'm making. :)

I appreciate all the kind words everyone, and I'm glad you're enjoying the process.

20 hours ago, wdwerker said:

if you slip that little gouge will go right through your hand ! 

Yeah, it's an ice-pick with a bevel on it. Edit: I don't mean that literally.

I'm always striving to keep two hands on the tools. One hand on the handle pushing forward and the other hand on the shaft pushing back. Thumbs pointing towards each other. That gives you control and the ability to stop the gouge from going too far forward but, perhaps most of all, it also makes it more difficult to stab yourself (unless you're carving towards your belly).

http://IMG_1786_zpszin06cn1.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks great, Dave! Any tri ks in mind for smoothing out all those nooks & crannies?

After all the legs are carved I will go back and try to clean up everything. The fuzzy edges of the raised areas all get trimmed with a slight bevel after the carving of the leaves. For the crevices between the leaves I will use a folded piece of sandpaper where possible, and if absolutely necessary I have a set of those needle files

• Like 1

On 8/14/2016 at 6:55 AM, Eric. said:

I may have missed it in a previous post, but have you shown us what you plan to build on top of these cabriole things?  Or are you just gonna randomly place legs about your house? :huh:

No, you didn't miss anything. I haven't decided exactly the shape of what's going on top but I'm leaning towards a jewelry box shaped along the lines of a lowboy or a chest of drawers. I'm looking into sourcing some tiny Victorian hardware, but I don't see anything at the dollhouse suppliers that is made with quality.

But really this is just a practice project to get a feel for some carving. However it turns out, I won't be randomly scattering the legs around the house. They will be attached by an apron so I'll only have one piece to burn when I'm finished screwing around.

Some people put great importance on the finished product. They want some furniture for their home. I'm not really in it for that. I like the individual steps and the challenge of woodworking. Sure, I like making things but it's the process that I find enjoyable rather than the finished piece. Much like when I'm painting or rock climbing, I find a certain focus when I engage in woodworking. Time rockets by. I'm transported out of my self and into "the zone". "The Zone" is its own reward. Plus I'm getting in my 10,000 hours without even noticing.

I do get your point though. I wouldn't usually put a lot of effort into something that has no function. Even if the function is merely to look artsy, there should be a point to the project. I wish I had made the legs full size, then it would be easier to carve and in the end I would have a Victorian foot stool or whatever. But I'm always making gift boxes so I started into this one with something small in mind.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, davewyo said:

I'll only have one piece to burn when I'm finished screwing around.

You're taking artisanal firewood to a whole new level!

The detail on the carving must be tiny - my smallest gouge is a 2mm #11, but that's probably a bit big for the level of detail you're going for. For the real pointy corners I have to hope I can get the skew chisel in them - otherwise I invariably have a few fuzzy bits left behind.

You're doing a great job.

• Like 1