Cabriole Thing

davewyo

I wanted to show the method I used to transfer my lines between shelves in case it could help out someone else. It's probably not the "right" way to do it, but it worked for me.

I carefully sized a block so that it would measure the width of my opening plus a quarter inch for my divider. Once it was dead on, I put it in the case and struck a line(The dado is done in the photos, but you get the point).

http://IMG_1933_zpsyfy4nnml.jpg

Then I switched it to the other side and struck another line, which left 1/4" inch in the middle.

http://IMG_1934_zpsyeuxigy3.jpg

Then I could flip the box over and do the same to the divider above so that my layout lines would be exact on both.

I did pretty much the same thing for the upper area which is divided in three except I made a block, struck a line, and put in a quarter inch spacer to mark the dado. Then I did the same from the right side so that the space in the middle was just right.

http://IMG_1936_zpsazsa7zlx.jpg

It took some careful sizing of my spacer blocks but it insured that I could transfer my marks from the divider below to the divider above without having to read 64ths of an inch.

• Like 1

Nothing too interesting. I squared off my stopped dadoes, put the edge treatment on the drawer divider, and notched it out to fit it to the space. I cut a profile on the pigeonhole dividers, notched again, and fit them in too.

http://IMG_1938_zps3bqxbyfk.jpg

Now I'm working on the valances that will span the upper portion of each pigeonhole.

http://IMG_1940crop_zpsnin10twp.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Did you learn about this style from a book?

Since it's a jewelry box type of what-cha-ma-jig and not a piece of authentic period furniture, this Thing isn't any one particular style to speak of. I've been throwing in different things from different sources, depending on which skills I would like to try out.

I've been getting some ideas for details and over-all form from the book "American Furniture of the 18th Century" and I've been watching Tommy Mac videos from his build of the Bombe' Secretary for inspiration. The center box with the hidden compartment which he made is sort of like what I'm making for the case on my cabriole base. When I need ideas for specific carving details or whatnot, I've been doing GoogleBooks searches for things like "Antique Furniture styles" or "Chippendale Furniture fretwork" or whatever specific thing I'm looking for.

Since it's a jewelry box type of what-cha-ma-jig and not a piece of authentic period furniture, this Thing isn't any one particular style to speak of. I've been throwing in different things from different sources, depending on which skills I would like to try out.

I've been getting some ideas for details and over-all form from the book "American Furniture of the 18th Century" and I've been watching Tommy Mac videos from his build of the Bombe' Secretary for inspiration. The center box with the hidden compartment which he made is sort of like what I'm making for the case on my cabriole base. When I need ideas for specific carving details or whatnot, I've been doing GoogleBooks searches for things like "Antique Furniture styles" or "Chippendale Furniture fretwork" or whatever specific thing I'm looking for.

Tommys bombe series is epic. Wish that was on TV !!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, davewyo said:

and I've been watching Tommy Mac videos from his build of the Bombe' Secretary for inspiration.

I knew it!  As soon as I saw those curved drawer blades I had a hunch the Bombe was your inspiration.

It's looking great, Dave.  I think you've put more time and effort into this project than I've ever put into any of mine.  Quite the exercise in diligence.  Well done.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Tommys bombe series is epic. Wish that was on TV !!

No kidding. I watch those videos and gain so much respect for Tommy's skills and staying power,

Plus, I grew up 32 miles from Boston, so I can actually understand what he's saying, know the references that he makes to local events, and feel embarrassment because my accent and mis-pronounciations of common words are just like his. I haven't lived in New England for twenty-five years or so, but I still sound like a moron. :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I knew it!  As soon as I saw those curved drawer blades I had a hunch the Bombe was your inspiration.

Yeah. Good eye.

Given what I'm doing, it's easy to draw inspiration from Tommy's video series on that Bombe. I watched them a couple/few years ago, and when I got into this Thing I went right back there to see what he had done. I won't go to the lengths he did, but the videos give a good basis for where I want to be heading.