What length pipe for pipe clamps

So a LONG time ago I bought six 3/4" pipe clamps. Never bought the pipe for them though.

Figured I'll use some BORG gift card money and finally get some pipes.

I have 6... I was originally going to get 3 ten footers... cut them in half and have six 5 foot clamps.

Should I have a few smaller? A few bigger?

I also received two 1/2" pipe clamps... I was planning on getting two 3 foot pieces of pipe for these.

I have two 3/4" pipe clamps, and I bought a 10' length of pipe for them. I figure I'll wait until I have a use and then cut the pipe to whatever length I need..

There's always the possibility of getting a pipe threader and some couple; then I could cut the pipe into shorter lengths and couple them when I need longer lengths.

If the rest of your clamp inventory is F-style clamps, it sounds like your pipe clamps might see a lot of use for panel glue-ups or larger assemblies. I find that I'm most frequently reaching for my four 24" K-Body clamps in this type of situation, and also my pair of 40" K-Bodies. I have a pair of five foot pipe clamps, but I honestly can't remember the last time I needed something that big--they are too unwieldy to use for anything that doesn't absolutely require the extra length. Of course, your needs may be different than mine based on the type of projects your are building.

Rory

I also bought some 3/4" pipe clamps. Remember that the O.D. of 3/4" pipe is slightly more than 1" when you're buying pipe.

I bought a full piece of SRL (single random length) which is about 20 - 21 feet long for $18.00 Canadian.

I cut 2 pieces 6 feet long and 2 - 4 feet long. I had both ends threaded of each piece so I can cut them down if needed in the future without having to go back for threading.

Just a thot.

I've also noticed the pipes bow a bit when using the clamps under pressure, so be prepared for that when you clamp a project.

Regards, Saddlestrum

So I had a reply, but lost it when I lost network connection... I'll shorten my reply, because i don't remember all of it.

I've seen guys with pipe lengths between 24" and 72", but they usually only have 2 or 4 at 72" long. Most seem to run lengths between 30 and 42 inches long, and have couplers so they can create the length they need.

I don't have any pipe yet, and I don't forsee getting many pipes too long, as I don't have the ceiling height to handle really long pipe.

Ok... so I am thinking

2-5 foot pipes threaded on one end. (I can always get the other end threaded if need... maybe I should just do it now... ug.)

4-30" foot pipes threaded on both ends since I don't have a large collection of parallel clamps

The 1/2" clamps will probably just be 24" long threaded on both ends.

Thanks for the help guys. I would have a bunch of really hard to use 5 foot clamps right now otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

So a LONG time ago I bought six 3/4" pipe clamps. Never bought the pipe for them though.

Figured I'll use some BORG gift card money and finally get some pipes.

I have 6... I was originally going to get 3 ten footers... cut them in half and have six 5 foot clamps.

Should I have a few smaller? A few bigger?

I also received two 1/2" pipe clamps... I was planning on getting two 3 foot pieces of pipe for these.

I use the shortest that will fill the bill, for whatever I am doing today. It is probably rare that I go over 4-5', but on those rare occasions, I can always run and buy a couple of pipes to use.

• 9 years later...
11 minutes ago, Drew_73 said:

Why not use stainless steal threaded dowels? They tend to be cheaper per foot and they are threaded everywhere?

Check the age of this thread... 

Also, OP was discussing pipe clamps. 3/4” x10’ stainless steel would be much more expensive than some galvanized or black pipe, and you need the smooth section of pipe for the clamps to work properly. 

I like zombie threads :) Haven't ever seen Ben on here before though.

I bought pipe clamps to make a dresser, about 5 feet long, threaded both ends. Later, during a build of a bed that was 7 feet, I bought couplings and two more sections of pipe about 3 feet, which worked out well. I built a special hanger for them on the wall of my shop. They don't get used THAT much, but when I need them, they are the only thing that'll work.

Ben I hope you figured it out :)

On 12/30/2010 at 8:27 PM, Ben@FineWoodworking said:

A long time ago in 2010 is what? At least 12-15 years... Anyway... I have a few clamps and no pipe. Digging up this thread actually helps me decide to get some pipe and put them to use. 

Always something useful being discussed. Thanks!

Proof the search feature works. I only pipe for longer lengths. If I did a bunch of traditional 3/4” board widening, I might get more short pipe. That is what makes this question funny to me. Let the projects you work determine the pipe you buy. Couplers and more pipe can be bought as needed.