Tapered or Not

prov163

I've used the Veritas saws quite a bit at the woodworking shows.  Since I have to spend the whole weekend there I've killed lots of time at their booth.  They're great saws and cut very nicely, especially considering the price.  But I think they're ugly and I hate the composite spines.  I need a brass back, sorry.  Call me shallow.

But all in all, they're tough to beat in the value department.  If you can get over the hideous appearance I'm sure you'll love them.  I'm a LN man myself.  Classic.  A little more expensive than the Veritas but not by much.  They're a great value, too.

4 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I've used the Veritas saws quite a bit at the woodworking shows.  Since I have to spend the whole weekend there I've killed lots of time at their booth.  They're great saws and cut very nicely, especially considering the price.  But I think they're ugly and I hate the composite spines.  I need a brass back, sorry.  Call me shallow.

But all in all, they're tough to beat in the value department.  If you can get over the hideous appearance I'm sure you'll love them.  I'm a LN man myself.  Classic.  A little more expensive than the Veritas but not by much.  They're a great value, too.

Yeah I guess the price is all relative. On one hand, the LN is twice as much, on the other hand, it is only $60 difference.

12 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Yeah I guess the price is all relative. On one hand, the LN is twice as much, on the other hand, it is only $60 difference.

$125 is not twice as much as $69. :)

I'd say the performance difference between the two is negligible, but the LN is such a better looking saw...and I personally find it more comfortable...and that's worth something too.

Yeah, the looks and spine construction of the Veritas bugs me too. I'm sure it's a great saw, but it's ugly. I really like most Lee Valley tools but this one jus leaves me blah. I have an LN carcass saw and love the feel, weight and looks. For the small difference in price it's worth it to me.  Still, tapered or not - hmmm.  I guess if I buy a standard dovetail saw and learn to use it I can always buy a tapered later if I want. 

What I'd really like is a thin plate dovetail saw for doing tiny pins and tails.  But I already built my tool cabinet and don't have any more space so I can't buy one. :D

I said it before and I'll say it again...I think the tapered saw is a gimmick.  What's the purported advantage anyway?  Just so you don't cut past your baseline on the side of the board you can't see?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I said it before and I'll say it again...I think the tapered saw is a gimmick.  What's the purported advantage anyway?  Just so you don't cut past your baseline on the side of the board you can't see?

Eric, that's exactly the point. I watched the video with Thomas Lie-Nielsen and thought it was a great idea for a beginner. It does work but I think it can also become a crutch. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that sawing mechanics includes the ability to saw not only straight but plumb. The tapered saw takes some of the plumb out of the equation. 

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

But I think they're ugly and I hate the composite spines.  I need a brass back, sorry.

You're shallow.

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

I personally find it more comfortable...and that's worth something too.

Sure it is. I just didn't bother touching a LN, so the Veritas is the best I've ever used :)

And yeah, the LN is a pretty good deal too. But I used the $60 to help buy something else...

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

What I'd really like is a thin plate dovetail saw for doing tiny pins and tails.  But I already built my tool cabinet and don't have any more space so I can't buy one. :D

Whatever...you know you're going to fill a second tool cabinet within two years so might as well treat yourself now!

1 hour ago, prov163 said:

I have one of those japanese oil blotters and use Camellia oil like I do on my planes and chisels.  I have a bunch of beeswax in small blocks.  Is that better?  Why?

I use oil  to prevent rust on my planes. I don't  use it on my Japanese saws though. The wax gets applied immediately before use, to lubricate the saw or the sole of the plane.