$99 Festool Sander

AstroDave

18 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I never had a problem with blade deflection with the Bosch on cuts <1" or so, and I doubt the Trion has the balls to cut much more than 1" anyhow.

I know you're half joking but honestly the Trion is the one Festool I have that is flush in the power department.  I break down all my rough stock with it and that means up to 12/4.  I have a long blade and it muscles through dense and/or thick stock just fine without deflection.  But my counter-point to that would be...even if it did deflect...who cares?  It's not a precision tool.  It's like expecting a finish-ready surface right off an Arbortech grinding wheel.

And the other point is...the Bosch would do just as good as the Festool...even with the moot deflection.

Yeah - I haven't anything thick with the Trion, so I was half joking.

Bosch makes a bunch of jigsaws - they have a 7amp model for $160 (the trion is rated at 6amps) and a 7.2amp model with guide blocks for $230 - So the Trion is a little more expensive, but not a ton.    So, unlike a lot of festool, the Trion is not crazy expensive, I guess.  

Bosch also has some DIY-budget jigsaws in the the <$100 range.

24 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Yeah - I haven't anything thick with the Trion, so I was half joking.

Bosch makes a bunch of jigsaws - they have a 7amp model for $160 (the trion is rated at 6amps) and a 7.2amp model with guide blocks for $230 - So the Trion is a little more expensive, but not a ton.    So, unlike a lot of festool, the Trion is not crazy expensive, I guess.  

Bosch also has some DIY-budget jigsaws in the the <$100 range.

Note with the Bosch 572 the dust collection fittings are not included, if you care about that the Bosch is a little more expensive than the Trion except when you have a sale like the 25 off 100 that Bosch has going now.  

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Am i "that" guy that thinks beyond $50 is a bit too much for a jigsaw? I NEVER use mine. Router with a circle jig does my inside radius cuts. Outside radius is bandsaw work. breaking down stock is bandsaw miter saw table saw or track saw.

I cut metal with my jogsaw and plastic.

When we order pizza from a local place here in town we spend $50 (we get different pizzas, local business prices, etc.) So, no I don't think beyond $50 is too much for a saw that you are going to use often. I love mine for all the reasons mentioned. And I've never seen any deflection. It cuts smoothly and is frustration free. I'll pay $250 or whatever it was for that. Maybe I'd have been just as happy with a Bosch, I have no idea. But like @Eric I had a terrible B&D and overcompensated because I was so annoyed with it. 

Speaking of overspending.. I have 5 $4.92 coffees per week. I drink about 12 $2 energy drinks per week. I pay $10/month for x-box live and don't use it more than 3 days per month. So.. I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth for the jigsaw. It didn't disappear after the first use and it's frequently needed.

And now that I think on it.. I pay house insurance, health insurance, car insurance for a total of roughly $700/month and don't use them hardly at all. Man think of the tools I could buy with $700/month extra!

*Edit - just cause you think it's too much doesn't mean I judge you for that line of thought. But we do disagree. :)

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

Miter saw and rough stock are not friends in my neighborhood.

How come?

I thought for years I'd buy a Bosch, specifically the two latest ones in the $120-$150 range. But when push came to shove I spent a bit more and got the Trion. Is it overkill for my intended uses? Yes. It feels good, works well, and is an upgrade over my very ergonomic and innovative scroll/jigsaw. This one cuts perpendicular. Like I mentioned earlier, the Plug-It did it for me, along a couple other features. It takes a bit more effort to keep it on the line, but I figured it out.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cliff said:

When we order pizza from a local place here in town we spend $50 (we get different pizzas, local business prices, etc.) So, no I don't think beyond $50 is too much for a saw that you are going to use often. I love mine for all the reasons mentioned. And I've never seen any deflection. It cuts smoothly and is frustration free. I'll pay $250 or whatever it was for that. Maybe I'd have been just as happy with a Bosch, I have no idea. But like @Eric I had a terrible B&D and overcompensated because I was so annoyed with it. 

Speaking of overspending.. I have 5 $4.92 coffees per week. I drink about 12 $2 energy drinks per week. I pay $10/month for x-box live and don't use it more than 3 days per month. So.. I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth for the jigsaw. It didn't disappear after the first use and it's frequently needed.

And now that I think on it.. I pay house insurance, health insurance, car insurance for a total of roughly $700/month and don't use them hardly at all. Man think of the tools I could buy with $700/month extra!

*Edit - just cause you think it's too much doesn't mean I judge you for that line of thought. But we do disagree. :)

How come?

Yeah I'm that guy then. I spend $50 a week on food tops, more for convince then cost. I grab all i need from the grocery store on Monday and then cook for the week Monday night. I just never use my jigsaw.

I won't judge you if you don't judge me. Some of my spending habits make you seem like a saint, to each their own.

13 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Yeah I'm that guy then. I spend $50 a week on food tops, more for convince then cost. I grab all i need from the grocery store on Monday and then cook for the week Monday night. I just never use my jigsaw.

I won't judge you if you don't judge me. Some of my spending habits make you seem like a saint, to each their own.

Well, let's be honest, if you said I was a idiot with all the financial sense of a brain dead child the only response I'd have is "well, yeah but.. " I do not live a life of bare minimum. That is for sure. 

But yeah sounds like a jigsaw doesn't provide much use for you. So your opinion makes perfect sense.

Ive been debating these jigsaws as well. Like shane said, its a jobsite tool for me. I rarely break out the jigsaw in the shop, but at work my Bosch sees constant use. The price of the Carvex and Trion dont bother me too much until you consider the accessory kits. But still id be willing to fork it over for a tool that fulfills my needs.

The reviews on both have me a little concerned though. Lots of complaints about the Carvex blade alignment system and angle base, and the Trions lack of visibility. Is it too much ask for a jigsaw that cuts square, and has blade visibility that i dont have to mess around with? On the jobsite i wanna grab a tool and go. And if anyone recommends the Mafell, feel free to send me $1300 because unless that thing drives itself and sands your work for you its a ridiculous rip-off.

Id love to hear from Shane or other carpenters about these jigsaws' worthiness on a jobsite. Should i just be looking at the guided bosch saw? It has mixed reviews as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, HuxleyWood said:

Note with the Bosch 572 the dust collection fittings are not included, if you care about that the Bosch is a little more expensive than the Trion except when you have a sale like the 25 off 100 that Bosch has going now.  

i have said it before, but bosch is so frustrating... they actually have all the components to compete with festool, at a better price.   They have a rotex like sander, they have a hepa extractor, they sell a tracksaw in europe (I think).  But tracking down all the parts and accesories you need.... 

2 hours ago, sheperd80 said:

Ive been debating these jigsaws as well. Like shane said, its a jobsite tool for me. I rarely break out the jigsaw in the shop, but at work my Bosch sees constant use. The price of the Carvex and Trion dont bother me too much until you consider the accessory kits. But still id be willing to fork it over for a tool that fulfills my needs.

The reviews on both have me a little concerned though. Lots of complaints about the Carvex blade alignment system and angle base, and the Trions lack of visibility. Is it too much ask for a jigsaw that cuts square, and has blade visibility that i dont have to mess around with? On the jobsite i wanna grab a tool and go. And if anyone recommends the Mafell, feel free to send me $1300 because unless that thing drives itself and sands your work for you its a ridiculous rip-off.

Id love to hear from Shane or other carpenters about these jigsaws' worthiness on a jobsite. Should i just be looking at the guided bosch saw? It has mixed reviews as well.

What you just posted is why I picked the Trion over the Carvex. In most instances, if I'm a blade width or two off my cut line, it's not a big deal. But, if I need to be right on that line I have two options: remove the shroud and deal with a bit of dust, or cut from the bottom.

There's actually a third option, which is to cut a viewing window in the shroud. I picked up a spare for $3 to experiment with.

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

i have said it before, but bosch is so frustrating... they actually have all the components to compete with festool, at a better price.   They have a rotex like sander, they have a hepa extractor, they sell a tracksaw in europe (I think).  But tracking down all the parts and accesories you need.... 

I agree 100%, and they do sell an excellent tracksaw in Europe.  Not only are the bits and pieces hard to track down there is about 1% chance you what you need locally.  If dealers were required to stock and demo Bosch like Festool it would be a far more interesting playing field, though it would almost certainly impact the price on the higher end tools sold that way.  More than once I have bought a Festool over better and/or cheaper alternatives either for the ease of acquiring or even having the accessories or because of the way Festool integrates into the ecosystem.    

4 hours ago, sheperd80 said:

And if anyone recommends the Mafell, feel free to send me $1300 because unless that thing drives itself and sands your work for you its a ridiculous rip-off.

If you pay 1,300 you are indeed getting ripped off, it is about $750 at least in USD.  While it doesn't sand your work or drive itself it does make you irresistible to women and the envy of men. 

"Is that a jigsaw in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

11 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

If you pay 1,300 you are indeed getting ripped off, it is about $750 at least in USD.  While it doesn't sand your work or drive itself it does make you irresistible to women and the envy of men. 

Id love to hear from Shane or other carpenters about these jigsaws' worthiness on a jobsite.

I had a bosch that was great. I gave it away to a poor guatamalan that did some landscaping for me so i had to replace it with the carvex and accessory kit. :) I think that a jigsaw is a carpentry tool and not a fine woodworking tool. Most of the good brands will do just fine. If I'm honest, I like Festool and stick to what I like. Aka a brand whore. I don't really care about price when it comes to tools, I buy what I like and enjoy, within reason.

I do think the Carvex has some cool features and accessories that puts it ahead of the other brands- Mafell excluded. I like the light, the auto feature is cool, the different bases and it is really powerful. I also bought it cause it had a cordless version.

Is it worth how ever much more it costs over the bosch? No clue, that's personal. To be honest, I don't even know what the difference in price is. I wanted a new jigsaw and bought the one that came in a systainer. Like most of the other green tools I own, I have not been disappointed.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2