$99 Festool Sander

AstroDave

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

True.

I dont think it would scare anyone off. I think the people buying the inflated price Festool sander would be current koolaid drinkers. Not sure if that would attract the new buyers so much

Yeah that was my point, if the only people who pay the inflated price are people are already tuned into Festool, then wouldn't festool have preferred to sell at the higher price and cut out the middle man?

3 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Yeah that was my point, if the only people who pay the inflated price are people are already tuned into Festool, then wouldn't festool have preferred to sell at the higher price and cut out the middle man?

This is beyond my comprehension of sales and marketing. Im but a simple builder. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Do you think festool is trying to increase their perceived value though? Aren't they already at the top of the heap? I'd think they be trying to figure out how to increase their market share by getting into the hands of additional woodworkers, hence the introductory sale of one item to get users hooked into their system. If you buy the sander, and you start poking around, you'll probably get one of their dust extractors to go with it, and now, since you've got the extractor, why not get the Domino?

What do you think?

I was responding mainly to the idea people would get scared off, the higher prices on the secondary market usually increase interest as opposed to running it off.  

Festool's purpose was obviously to get new customers into the Festool ecosystem.  That new penetration may be low because even though Festool has now said (today) they will cover all the pre-orders I imagine a LARGE part of those were from people like me who have already sipped the Koolaid.  However, the frenzy has caused a lot of new Festool traffic on all the forums (both woodworking and trade related forums) which is probably a good thing for Festool.  While they may not have intended it the increased prices that are surely to happen on the secondary market will further enhance the perception that Festool is indeed a good value.  Though the buyin is high resell sales a lot of their tools, what other electric hand tool manufacturer can you buy a tool, use it for two year, and sell it with an intact warranty for 75-80% of new?  Mafell probably has as high a resell value but they are a level of price and quality above Festool.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

I was responding mainly to the idea people would get scared off, the higher prices on the secondary market usually increase interest as opposed to running it off.  

Festool's purpose was obviously to get new customers into the Festool ecosystem.  That new penetration may be low because even though Festool has now said (today) they will cover all the pre-orders I imagine a LARGE part of those were from people like me who have already sipped the Koolaid.  However, the frenzy has caused a lot of new Festool traffic on all the forums (both woodworking and trade related forums) which is probably a good thing for Festool.  While they may not have intended it the increased prices that are surely to happen on the secondary market will further enhance the perception that Festool is indeed a good value.  Though the buyin is high resell sales a lot of their tools, what other electric hand tool manufacturer can you buy a tool, use it for two year, and sell it with an intact warranty for 75-80% of new?  Mafell probably has as high a resell value but they are a level of price and quality above Festool.  

Really good points all around. If I could justify another sander I might have sipped the koolaid this time. Will probably wait a little longer before getting a domino.

5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

It came with it.

The systainer seems pretty similar to every other one.

Haven't gotten to use it yet but it smells really good.

Is there a part number listed on the box for the new hose end? If so can you post it please? I have been trying to find it and havent seen it listed anywhere.