$99 Festool Sander

AstroDave

8 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I bet by March y'all could save up enough to buy a 6" sander. :P

contrarian is a person who takes up a contrary position, especially a position that is opposed to that of the majority, regardless of how unpopular that position is...........:angry:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rex Edgar said:

contrarian is a person who takes up a contrary position, especially a position that is opposed to that of the majority, regardless of how unpopular that position is...........:angry:

I do have a tendency to reject popular opinion...but only when I have a good reason.  I'm not contrary just to be contrary.  Popular opinion is often moronic.  How many albums has Justin Bieber sold?  I rest my case.

Got an email from tool nut.  it said " dear valued customer, please shut the heck up and stopped emailing us every 14 seconds about when you're dumb sander an ugly blue box will be shipped ; like was previously communicated to you we took too many orders just like everybody else and have absolutely no idea IF we're even going to get to you. "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, estesbubba said:

The guy telling people that buying a $49 after incentive premium 5" sander is dumb is the same guy that has 5 block planes, 3 smoothers, 2 jacks, and 3 gallons of Jatoba Oil... :D

55 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

Are there any miles on those planes?

Nope, they're just for show.  Don't use any of them, ever.

I know this makes about zero sense but I pretty much bought it for the $50 rebate. I was planning on buying a track saw  so this week and figured okay so that makes it a $50 buy , then when you consider having a backup of the $30 plug in cord for my second hose okay so now it's a $20 sander done.

I'm still planning on buying the truck so soon which is really the last Festool tool that I even want so if the seller doesn't ship before I get sick of waiting to buy the track saw I'll just buy it at full price and cancel the sander; which I suppose technically makes that $100 off cancelling the sandwr?

9 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I just called the place I ordered mine from. They had ordered 3500 sanders from Festool and will only receive 10% of that. I wont be getting mine for a while. He said some guy ordered 40 sanders, which he will not be getting. 

Sounds like he was probably planning to re-sell them, unless he happens to represent a very large university woodshop or cabinet making operation.

Just now, Isaac Gaetz said:

Sounds like he was probably planning to re-sell them, unless he happens to represent a very large university woodshop or cabinet making operation.

Yeah, i guess. I more blown away at the fact that the dealer ordered 3500 sanders !!!

Just now, estesbubba said:

Some guy = Shane?

HAHA ! I didnt want to admit it LOL

4 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Yeah, i guess. I more blown away at the fact that the dealer ordered 3500 sanders !!!

HAHA ! I didnt want to admit it LOL

Yeah I'm just thinking, the entire goal of this sort of thing has to be to get a festool tool into the hands of new users who haven't tried them before. After which they'll be impressed enough to step up and try the rest of their line with less sticker shock. It would probably work on me.

So the last thing they want is for some re-selling to jack up the price and scare people off.

6 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

So the last thing they want is for some re-selling to jack up the price and scare people off.

Normally when the secondary market does this to an item it actually inflates the perception of a products value.  You see it in cars, watches, spirits and most all limited Veblen goods.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HuxleyWood said:

Normally when the secondary market does this to an item it actually inflates the perception of a products value.  You see it in cars, watches, spirits and most all limited Veblen goods.

Do you think festool is trying to increase their perceived value though? Aren't they already at the top of the heap? I'd think they be trying to figure out how to increase their market share by getting into the hands of additional woodworkers, hence the introductory sale of one item to get users hooked into their system. If you buy the sander, and you start poking around, you'll probably get one of their dust extractors to go with it, and now, since you've got the extractor, why not get the Domino?

What do you think?

3 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

True.

12 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Yeah I'm just thinking, the entire goal of this sort of thing has to be to get a festool tool into the hands of new users who haven't tried them before. After which they'll be impressed enough to step up and try the rest of their line with less sticker shock. It would probably work on me.

I dont think it would scare anyone off. I think the people buying the inflated price Festool sander would be current koolaid drinkers. Not sure if that would attract the new buyers so much