$99 Festool Sander

AstroDave

Guys Im still trying to figure out a good compliment for this sander as this one will be dedicated to finishing. I kinda like the idea of staying with a 125 as then I can share paper and I dont really need a larger sander since most of the stuff I work on is smaller, so a 5" vs 6" I dont think would matter much to me. But I guess it does make sense that if the compliment sander only handled rougher stuff I wouldnt have to double up on paper grits.

That aside is there that much of a difference between a 3mm stroke sander and a 5mm stroke? Im really leaning more towards the ETS EC series as I dont think I need something as powerful as a Rotex. I just dont do heave stock or any paint removal but would like something more powerful than the ETS 125 and able to use a hard pad.

Ben, I agree that investing in one paper size is smart, I use the 150, so this new sander doesn't get my motor running.  I don't think that the difference between  the 3 and 5 mm stroke will be that noticeable.  For heavy removal, I love he Rotex, but I have used the ETS 150/3 with course grit when I didn't have the Rotex available.  I actually prefer the Rotex and have used with all grits in both modes, and after some practice you can use as a finish sander.  If I was doing it all over, I probably would skip the ETS purchase, but it was my first sander purchase.

Ben why not go to a near by store to see how big a 6" sand is. Put it in your hands spend more then a few min  flipping the switch ect. It might convince you "Hey this sander isn't that big but could be a huge help" or "Wow this sander is way to large for my needs" I wouldn't worry about paper overlap Some times it's nice to grab another sander and go then it is to switch paper endlessly. Draw a line in the sand buy up to say 120 grit for the 6" and then 150 grit+ for the 5".

You can listen to our opinions all day but i feel you need to create some of your own as well and hands on fiddling is the best way to do that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

You can listen to our opinions all day but i feel you need to create some of your own as well and hands on fiddling is the best way to do that.

That is sound advice. Thankfully I have a Woodcraft and a Rockler near by, guess Ill have to make a stop.

2 hours ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

At my woodcraft today, was talking to the festool rep about the sander, said they had like 9000 units in stock for the sale and they ended up selling like 42,000 sanders.

Holy crap.. that's definately going to eat into buyers that would have bought the 125/3 or 150/3 if it's a decent finish sander. If it's not,  it'll but a big Green bad taste in people's mouths. A hundred dollar sander that isn't green or mirka gold ought to be a good sander.  

I hope they know what they are doing..

I'm wondering if this doesn't backfire for Festool,  I see 2 things from this move....

NO.1-People realize Festool tools have been overpriced for a long time....(and if not)

NO. 2- they will sell a new cheaper line of tools that will not match up to the older far more expensive line..... 

either way don't look good.....because if the cheaper models that are now available are just as good ......

refer to NO. 1

There is another possibility here too that I havent read anyone around the net mention with respect to this $99 sander. Since the ETS 125 was discontinued, it could be that there were many parts used to construct it left in stock that wouldnt be used in any new/replacement sander, so they decided to slap a new motor and switch in with those parts and dump the rest of the stock via a limited run "new" product and that was really the only reason it came out. Once those parts are all gone the whole thing goes away. We have no way of knowing what the real motivation behind this was.

4 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I don't have any tinfoil hats.  I will take Festool's word for it that their "real motivation" is to expose more people to their product.  

Me neither, so I will go with Festool's explanation, too.

I don't know if people were serious when they posted that they would by a dozen and re-sell them.  But if there were sales of 42,000, I can't believe those were all to individuals buying only one unit.  

I think the "learning point" for Festool on this adventure will be: next time limit it to one unit per customer.  

The next marketing lesson will come after they see how many of the vouchers are redeemed.  If almost all are redeemed then the message is the products are perceived as valuable, but expensive, and a little price adjustment could improve sales.  

3 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

I didnt realize they made that public official announcement.

It was the message I got from Festool when I called to make some inquiries.  It was the same message I got from the same person a day or two later when I called again and she was kind enough to suggest a couple of on-line sources that might still have units to sell.  So that's what they were telling random customers calling in.  

The problem with limiting the sale is Festool has hundreds out outlets in the US and Canada, one could simply buy one from each.  They could limited redeeming the voucher to one per household but anyone can get around that if they have family and friends.  

The Pro 5 is an update to the ETS 125 with among other things more power it isn't some foray into cheaper tools.

The "problem" for Festool is for the true Festoolian it was hard to avoid buying multiples.  Festoolians love their Systainers (especially limited color combinations) and the Systainer is worth of $70.  Add to that many have several Plug-it cords attached to hoses etc so extra Plug-its are nice if you live in a green world.  The Plug-it included is $44.  It includes the new edge protector which will probably run ~15-20 bucks.  Most Festoolians will use a couple of the vouchers in the next year, no problem.  The bottom line is for someone that is even semi-seriously into the Festool ecosystem the Pro 5 was worth the money even if it didn't include a sander.  

I do think their idea was market penetration but in this case the rabid fans bought them up quickly.  While it is unlikely to have the effect on the intended market it did produce a stir with the faithful.  

The Festool rep (Tyler) on FOG stated it was to appeal to new customers as well.

I don't think the ETS 125 is being discontinued at all. This IS the ETS 125. It just has a different sticker, different systainer, and some paper instead of a bag. I think perhaps 1 Jan or 1 Feb you'll see it added back to the site as the normal version at the normal price.

1 minute ago, Cochese said:

Yes, alongside the RTS and DTS. I assumed people were aware of that by now.

FOGgers certainly are but once you leave the confines of the green planet there is a LOT of confusion still.  I continue to read multiple new posts across the web where people are postulating that it is "cheaper" version of the ETS 125.  People are also saying that it is a weak sander, but if you bog down the ETS 125's 200w motor you are using it wrong.  

I think the confusion has just begun. I can see the complaints now...

DIYjoe says: "This thing is a gutless piece of junk. It took me 4 hours to sand down a pallet today, and it didnt even come with any 60 grit paper! Going back to my $40 Ryobi sander. Festool Sucks!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sheperd80 said:

I think the confusion has just begun. I can see the complaints now...

DIYjoe says: "This thing is a gutless piece of junk. It took me 4 hours to sand down a pallet today, and it didnt even come with any 60 grit paper! Going back to my $40 Ryobi sander. Festool Sucks!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'll bet for 95% of buyers this is not their first Festool.  

29 minutes ago, Pwalter5110 said:

I would have loved to grab one of those sanders. I tossed it around for a couple of days because I didn't know if I wanted to buy their vacuum with it or not. I ended up waiting a day too long. By time I went to buy it, everyone quit selling it!

Same here, the rep did say dealers will be getting a limited amount in for the $99 price, so might want to call around to a woodcraft or local place and ask them about that.

Email from the toolnut says they can honor all sales made but confirmed they are done taking pre sales: "Festool asked all dealers, including The Tool Nut, to suspend taking additional orders for the PRO 5 sander on Friday, October 7th. Currently, we are not accepting additional orders. We placed an order for more than enough sanders to satisfy all pre-orders prior to this communication from Festool."

http://www.festoolproducts.com/festool-pro5-sander-faq.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk